New To Boating. Need Help !

mr_grumble2003

Hey guys (and Gals),

I have never owned a boat before, have spend much of my younger days in a flat bottom dingy though, and I'm looking to get hold of one soon.

I only want something that I can use around the Hawksbury / Brisbane Waters area to fish from and not really much else. I have no intension in going 'off shore'.

I am looking to purchase 2nd hand as I can't really justify the $5K-$6K spend, although it would be nice

The question begin........

Alloy or Fibregalss ?

I do preffer the thought of alloy, especially if going the 2nd hand option, the thought of soggy rotten fibreglass just turns me off them.....unless you can convince me other wise ?

Size

Im not the smallest dude in the world and there's the chance of the wife and daughter comming along occasionally (and I mean occasionally ). Obviously <4m will obviously be cheaper, but going over 4m too I would imagine means more HP ?

Motor,

In the time I've been browsing around I've seen alloy dingy's with everything from 5HP up to 40 HP. I don't intend to ski from the thing, however I would like to be able to transverse the Hawksbury without being overtaken by a canoe. Are alloy dingy's rated as far as what HP you can hang off the bum ?

Then there's the condition assesment, I have4 a reasonable knowledge about things mechanical, but I'm not all that familiar with marine motors and the small things to watch out for. Is it unreasonable to ask a seller to get hold of an inspection report (obviously at my expense) ? Any idea what these are worth to purchase ?

I don't know if there's anything else I have to consider, if there is,I'd be greatful in being advised so!

Regards,

Steve, aka mr_grumble2003

hi there mr grumble :1welcomeani:

firstly, what is your actual budget? it will all depend on this but judging from your comments your going to be looking at a tinnie around the 4m mark with something like a 20hp 2 stroke on the back which will do you fine in the river. Just be wary if you intend to cross from Brisbane Waters to the Hawkesbury as it can get very rough through this stretch.

G'day Mr Grumble,

I am selling a boat which sounds perfect for your needs. It is a 14 foot Savage Ganent with a 30hp Johnson engine. refer to the photo below. It has a fish finder, radio, fish box, rod holders, false floor and it has caught alot of fish.

G'day Mr Grumble,

I am selling a boat which sounds perfect for your needs. It is a 14 foot Savage Ganent with a 30hp Johnson engine. refer to the photo below. It has a fish finder, radio, fish box, rod holders, false floor and it has caught alot of fish.

Didn't quite get the photo :05:

Can you give me some more info on the condition and history ?

Cheers

G'day Mr Grumble,

I'm selling it for $4,000.00 call me on 0417 367 847 if you are interested

post-256-1141740177_thumb.jpg

post-256-1141740190_thumb.jpg

post-256-1141740204_thumb.jpg

Edited by swordfisherman

I hope that helps you out Mark :biggrin2: and that looks like something that would be right up your alley Steve :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest