Political Update

Guest Jocool

Guys....at the risk of allienating anyone here, I would like to inform you of which way I will be distibuting my prefrences.

As you may, or may not know, the Greenway electorate has attracted the unprecedented number of candidates from all types of parties. Each of these had the same idea that The Fishing Party had. Each of them is hoping that their percentage of primary votes can be used to lever the government, or the opposition for that matter, to do something for their particular party.

Having such a big field does 2 things.

Firstly it confuses the voters. They don't always realise where their vote goes when the prefrences are redistibuted.

Secondly it makes it harder for any minor party to gain a large percentage to use as leverage with the majors.

A few of these parties have actually approached me in order to form an allegiance of sorts to get a bigger percentage of the vote that we could use against the majors. I have refused to play this game. Perhaps I am too naive, but I believe there is more to gain by going direct to the majors rather than buggarise around.

Most of the minors will say to you that their prefrences are directed from their head office, and as such are not willing to give The Fishing Party a good spot on there prefrences list.

I have been given a free reign by the Executive of The Fishing Party to do with my prefrences as I saw fit.

To that end, I will be dealing with the Liberals in this election. Before you all get up in arms, let me explain why as best I can.

The Fishing Party was invited to talk with the State fisheries minister, Ian MacDonald, (no relation to RONALD :nono: ) who wanted our prefrences. This happened a day after the elections were called. This is after 4 years of Bob Smith attempting to get a meeting with him regarding our fishery.

Because this is a family based site, I can not say in here what I think of the current state Labor Minister of Fisheries. All I will say is that he has well and truly sold us up the river! :-mad2

Liberal on the other hand are at least willing to take our concerns on board.

I know you will say that this is a Federal election, but what you must remember is that the Fishery is in state government control.

The Liberals are willing to hear what we have to say, and will give us certain amounts of input to what happens in the electorate. This may not seem like a huge thing, but bear in mind that most of the little creeks that run through Greenway actually feed into the Hawkesbury. And the ideas that have crossed the table between myself and the Liberals is promising to say the least.

Just to give you a clue of what I mean, the Liberals are willing to make representations on behalf of the rec fisho in regards to the implementation of a RFH in both the Hawkesbury and Sydney Harbour. They are willing to listen to us regarding the slaughter of juvenile fish by pro netters. They are willing to have rec fishos make an input into where and how certain funds shall be dispursed from the federal government for the Coastal and Inland Waterways Grant system. They even liked the idea I propsed of opening Prospect Reservoir to rec fishos! :ohyeh:

In summary, I am attempting to shaft Labor in this electorate like they have shafted us. I will be giving my number 2 spot on my ticket to Liberal, and Greens and Democrats will be the absolute bottom of my list.

Cheers.

Iceman...You can still make a difference with your vote. The Fishing Party has 2 Senate candidates. All you have to do is vote 1 The Fishing Party above the line for your vote to make a difference. The Fishing Party is the last column, Column AC on the Senate ballot paper.

We have used the same stratergy with prefrences going to Liberal in the Senate.

And just to clarify, there are a total of 4 seats being contested in the House of Reps. These are Greenway, Wentworth, Warringah, and Patterson.

Ain't politics a grand thing. Jo, just one thing. Last time I checked, the state co-allition was still commited to returning the dreaded kingfish traps. At a state level the nats tend to have their way in most things fishing. Libs might make a commitment to certain issues but are they a true representation of fishing policies if a State coalltion govt wins power.

On another note I wonder if you could email me outlining your experiences with Ian Macdonald so that maybe can take it further. Email is Hollandm@dailytlegraph.com.au

Again best wishes in your excellent efforts at giving fishos a voice.

Cheers Mal

Me again Jo; been talking to my colleague David Penberthy, our Opinions page editor, former State political reporter etc etc and, jeez I hate to say it :D but one of the best political writers in Oz. Penbo has also started appearing on Sky's new political show. Anyhow he's very very interested in having a chat with yourself about both The Fishing Party (of which he is aware, and of the anger at major party's attitude to fishing) and your experiences as someone coming up against the tactics of the major parties. Regards Mal. Dave's email here is Penberthyd@dailytelegraph.com.au

He's bit busy today with the Labor Party launch, and he's got a rare day off tomorrow, but is keen for a chat maybe Friday if that's convenient to you.

Thanks Bombi. I will most defenitely get in touch with Pembo! I'm actually a fan of his. Listen to him on the radio all the time! :thumbsup: Dont get time to read all his work, what with being in the truck all day unfortunately!

Hi People

Just a quick note to say good on ya for getting involved and a couple of quick notes.

1: Being honest in politics is hard, you don't want to offend anybody. However the way I put it is this: I will always try to supoprt whichever party is elected to Government. I will not bullshit to you on what I believe but I will stay true to myself and ask you ask yourslef what is important to you. For me they took away everything my family enjoyed (camping in thr bush, fishing and horseriding) and they want to do the same to you!

2: As far as trusting any of the major political parties go forget it! The ALP is so deep in with the Greens its not funny. But the Libs will do anything and I mean ANYTHING to get power. There are two types of Libs: the drys and the wets (like the Left and the Right of the ALP) The Wets represent the city based "doctors wives" who have desterted the Libs because they think voting for the Greens will save the Koalas! The Wets have tried for ages to do deals with the Greens!

3: Don't keep your opinins to yourself. Tell your wife, your brothers and sisters, mum and dads, workmates and friends just how important your recreation is to you and your family and why they should consider someone other than the major parties.

Good luck Joe, if you were in my electorate I'd vote for ya :P

Jon Jenkins

Guest Jocool

Jon Jenkins

You could always move mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words! :thumbsup:

Jon Jenkins

You could always move mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You see that photo in my post. thats my dad and me and my kids with a nice little flatty on a deserted beach called Black Rock on Fathers day. They want to ban us from fishing here! I don'y know if I could leave just yet.

Don't get disheartened when the elections over, its just beginning!

jon

Ain't politics a grand thing. Jo, just one thing. Last time I checked, the state co-allition was still commited to returning the dreaded kingfish traps. At a state level the nats tend to have their way in most things fishing. Libs might make a commitment to certain issues but are they a true representation of fishing policies if a  State coalltion govt wins power. 

On another note I wonder if you could email me outlining your experiences with Ian Macdonald so that maybe can take it further.  Email is Hollandm@dailytlegraph.com.au

Again best wishes in your excellent efforts at giving fishos a voice.

Cheers Mal

joe

Mal is correct on the lib/nat front regards state fisheries management. its a case of whats the best worst case for our fish when it comes to the state majors.

With all credit to both Mal and David penburthy's professional integrity though. Given that the Telly is blatantly coalition biased in this election( seen this mornings latham bashing headline) the call is yours as to whether you want to discuss private meetings with the a biased press. Then again with your prefs going to the coalition its probably in your interests. oh and remember the golden rule re the political press NOTHING is off the record!!!!!!!!! just ask gareth and whats her name LOL

Finally I urge you strongly to heed my warnings at the start of your journey neither of the majors is gonna give a brass razzoo about your postion once the votes have been tallied. Your party and cause is a bigger pile of S*#t, and worth less, to the majors than even the eletorates opinion and we all know how hard they listen to the electorate when nestled into that first class seat down to canberra.

They court you with a vile taste in there ever smiling mouths.

Edited by allen glover

In summary, I am attempting to shaft Labor in this electorate like they have shafted us. I will be giving my number 2 spot on my ticket to Liberal, and Greens and Democrats will be the absolute bottom of my list.

=====================================

Well said, Joe! As well as Labor's sea closures at the Solitary Islands, Fish Rock, Byron Bay etc, we can add their ban on trout restocking in Kosciusko NP, the new plan of management for Cowan. I note that, in the UK, plans are well advanced (on animal rights grounds) for a ban on the use livebait. The Libs haven't exactly distinguished themselves (I'm thinking of the Great Barrier Reef closures) but Labor (and their greenie mates) are one hundred times worse. Wouldn't it be great if a poor result in NSW on Saturday, costs Labor federally? I think if that was to happen that Labor would finally get the message that their contempt for the working man and his sports is costing them votes. All the best, Andrew