Raiders Opinions

Coast_Bloke

Hi fellow raiders,

Well after ages of pleading, the :wife: has given the nod on me getting a boat.

My budget is $5500 and I have done a heap of searching, and ebay looking etc at current prices. From what I can figure my budget doesn't buy alot of boat, unless I get something very old, or damaged :P

I need you opinion on the boat below I am looking at, it is a mates old boat. This mate is fastidious with all his stuff, and so the boat is clean and tidy and the motor kicked over first key turn when I looked at it.

Specs are not totally known by me, but heres what I do know.

Quintrex Hull just over 4.3 metres. (not sure what model)

Johnson 40hp late 80's model, has electric start/tilt/trim and oil injection (but has been removed on advice from mechanic, saying that self mixing 2 stroke is better for the motor)

Centre console has working nav lights, sounder/fishfinder and marine radio.

New paint in and out.

Live bait tank, motion plumbed (will prob add an electric pump if I buy)

Just refurbished roller trailer, with new bearings, axle, hubs and arches. New paint/lights etc.

Full deck front to back with carpet.

Bimini (is starting to thin, may need new cloth)

all safety gear, deep cycle battery, plus boat cover and kids tow tube.

Bilge pump is not working, but this may only be an electrical problem at the switch.

Boat and Trailer, all just recently rego'ed

Ok so my mate is asking $6,000 but will sell to me for $5,200, is price ok?

Cheers,

Coasty

post-574-1141849337_thumb.jpg

post-574-1141849353_thumb.jpg

post-574-1141849365_thumb.jpg

post-574-1141849378_thumb.jpg

Guest bluecod

Mate, it is a Quinnie Fishrunner 4.3 metre job and the hull will do all you ask of it in the river, estuary and harbour - pick your days and it will also go to sea - I've had one for about 18 years :thumbup: - there should be an ID tag rivetted to the lower starboard side of the back seat which will tell you its age.

BasicFisho has one as does Fishrunner, so there are still a few about.

I run an oil injected 50 2-stroke Yammie and a 23 litre tank will see me chasing surface fish in the harbour for half a day and general drifitng etc for the other half - launched from Roseville.

The one you're looking at has been modified as the centre console would generally sit astride a thwart seat - check that there has been additional side bracing added

Edited by bluecod

Based on the info you have given it looks like a good thing for the money. Obviously the carpet needs a tidy up but it looks fine.

Totally agree with Bluecod check the area where the console is as its not standard and im pretty sure the thwart seats area also supports.

I used to own a fishabout mark 2 and removed all but the front thwart seat and never had a drama but its worth checking out to make sure its ok. Motor looks ok in the photo and it should scoot along ok but carry two 25 litre tanks as they can be a bit thirsty.

let us know how you go ! :thumbup:

Guest bluecod

From memory the 1978 model had an issue with too much graphite ?? in the compound used for dampening under the hull ribs. Those uprights on the sides extend along the floor and there is a silicone compound betwixt them and the hull. The original batch of boats started to corrode and there was a general recall for them to be factory rectified. All the ones still around from that batch were fixed better than new.

Two other things to look out for are:

- electrolysis corrosion [pitting of the surface] caused by two dissimilar metals - there will likely be some and if it is only minor you shouldn't have too much concern but if, as on one Quinnie I inspected recently, the pitting was deep [right through the hull actually] you could be heading for trouble.

- stretching of the tow eye - mine is just starting to widen now and I have seen them worn right through - a welder can take care of it for you but its best not to let the eye get too thin. Looking at the photos it looks like that boat you're looking at has already had its tow eye replaced.

Edited by bluecod

Guest fishrunner

G'day Coast bloke,

I have a 78 fishrunner goes very well with a yammy 40hp on her, out to the fads on a good day and the easturies are a breeze,- you won't be dissapointed with the ride.

As Blue cod mentioned have a look under the floor for re-enforcing as the console would normally be on the front thwart and the rear thawrt is hollow?

Other than that looks good and being a mate you would know how it's been maintained.

Old quinnies are pretty much what you see is what you get tough old boat that will take the knocks.

couple of pics for comparison

post-647-1141902836_thumb.jpg post-647-1141902855_thumb.jpg

cheers,

BTW if you want to know what I paid PM me

Guest Jewel

What Bluecod said!!

I am the normal deckie in Fishrunners baby, cant fault her, shes a little wet and bangs about a bit but goes anywhere you want and gets back home again.

The hull is not the best at anything (eg outside, bay, estuary) but will safely do EVERYTHING!!!

I would have NO hesitation in buying one for myself