80lb On A 6500 Baitrunner?

jewnut

hi all,

my mates got a 6500 thats spooled with some nasty mono and wants to replace it with braid. I fish 50lb on my big spinning reels and was just wandering if 80lb Tuf line will be too much for the reel to handle? Im guessing yes but asking cause i have half a spool spare so i can save him some dough.

thanx.

hi all,

my mates got a 6500 thats spooled with some nasty mono and wants to replace it with braid. I fish 50lb on my big spinning reels and was just wandering if 80lb Tuf line will be too much for the reel to handle? Im guessing yes but asking cause i have half a spool spare so i can save him some dough.

thanx.

Jesus ,why so much fire power on a reel of that size :1yikes: Better off tying it to the 4x4 and hauling em out :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

I dont think 80lb braid is a problem but I would be more concerned with how heavy you set your drag fishing that poundage It sometimes doesnt matter what pound braid you are fishing but how you set your drag to suit the outfit you are fishing with for example I have a 6kg baitcaster outfit loaded with 10kg braid and the drag is set through the rod at 2kg works fine with some added drag pressure with the thumb when needed to turn a fish Hope this helps

thanks for the replies guys.

Stewy, we target big Jews in the Hakesbury and i fish 80lb on my overhead (hence the left over line) as most of our spots have a point close by (such as Juno) and we know how fragile braid is on rock so i use it as insurance more than anything else although im yet to land that big bugger. My other rods have 50lb braid and 30lb mono. Just wanted to know if it would handle it as Tuf line is not cheap but i figured it would be too much anyway.

Iceman, you make a good point, we might put it on anyway and set the drag lighter and see how it goes. we are going out tomorrow and hopefully ill have a pic of that big jew thats eluded me all these years :mad3:

You wouldn't even be able to fish 50lb to its potential on a 6500 baitrunner. 30lb would be the max they could handle.

i agree with the above comment, however if you use running rigs the extra beef will come in handy due to the abrasion you are inflicting on the line.

I wouldnt recomend buying 80 pound for a spinning reel but if its free go for it.