Loomis Gl2 Dropshot

Matthead

Hi guys, if I could get your opinions on these rods or something I can get for $270. Thinking of a GL2 Dropshot or another Nitro which I already have a 2-5kg Topwater. If anyone wants to put their 2 cents worth in, I greatly appreciate it. Have held both rods and they both seem what I am after but as I say, I havent cast the Loomis. Will be using a Stradic 2500 and 6-12lb braid.

Thanks, Matt

Edited by Matthead

G. Loomis don't make a GL2 Drop Shot rod that I know of. They brought the new GLX one out last year but it was always the IMX blank they used for that series- so that's interesting.

The Innovator Nitro range in my opinion are the best rods you can get in that 250 - 300 AUD price bracket. You could also pick up a Ian Miller rod, he has a nice bream buster range that's a bit more.

I use a G. Loomis rod now (SR range) & also had the IMX G. Loomis Drop Shot rod, casting distance wasn't one of it's strengths when it came to those small jig heads for 2-3" soft plastics, it had really nice line feel & tweaking performance & that was what I missed about it about the one I have now isn't that far off & can cast alot further than it & it as isn't easy to damage. I sold mine on eBay for only $350 last year. The problem I found with it, was the tip was very easy to snap off & it couldn't cast tiny lures well. They made the tip a lil' weak to get that nice flicking effect but then the mid section & butt had a bit too much grunt for the delicate tip. Great feeling rod however if you like babying your fishing outfit.

That's all in my opinion, the new GLX one would be great.

If you tell me what exactly you plan to use this new outfit for I can help a lil', I went through the process of buying & selling lots of gear just to get it right.

There definatelty is a GL2 dropshot - however i have the suspicion it was made only for the aussie market. I havn't felt one so can't comment.

Cheers

Anthony

G. Loomis don't make a GL2 Drop Shot rod that I know of. They brought the new GLX one out last year but it was always the IMX blank they used for that series- so that's interesting.

The Innovator Nitro range in my opinion are the best rods you can get in that 250 - 300 AUD price bracket. You could also pick up a Ian Miller rod, he has a nice bream buster range that's a bit more.

I use a G. Loomis rod now (SR range) & also had the IMX G. Loomis Drop Shot rod, casting distance wasn't one of it's strengths when it came to those small jig heads for 2-3" soft plastics, it had really nice line feel & tweaking performance & that was what I missed about it about the one I have now isn't that far off & can cast alot further than it & it as isn't easy to damage. I sold mine on eBay for only $350 last year. The problem I found with it, was the tip was very easy to snap off & it couldn't cast tiny lures well. They made the tip a lil' weak to get that nice flicking effect but then the mid section & butt had a bit too much grunt for the delicate tip. Great feeling rod however if you like babying your fishing outfit.

That's all in my opinion, the new GLX one would be great.

If you tell me what exactly you plan to use this new outfit for I can help a lil', I went through the process of buying & selling lots of gear just to get it right.

• 2 weeks later...