Sustain Or Twinpower

Matthead

I'm thinking of a new reel to go with my imaginary new Nitro or Loomis GL2 Dropshot. I can get a Twin Power for $299 or a Sustain for $319 and as the two reels are pretty close in price I would like to know if anyone has used one or better still both of these reels and has any advice to offer.

Reel size will be 2500 and mainly used for Plastics in Estuarys!!!!

Thanks, Matt :1fishing1:

A Diawa TDS would fit into that budget as well dam good reel. Smooth Drag and teh TDS lays line on a spool very very well.

Next time your a a tackle shop check one out.

Edited by Sharky

Hi Mat,

I have two Sustains and love them, they are fantastic little reels, I cannot comment on the TwinPower as i have not used one. I also have a stradic and the sustains are my preferred choice over the Stradic. I have only ever had one problem with one of the Sustains and was promptly fixed free of charge. One of the sealing grommets under the spool came free from it's housing and i could not get the spool on correctly. I look after them and they have never let me down.

LW

Just thought id put up an argument for the twin power. To sum them up 'brilliant'. There lighter than the sustain, Have a 2 speed oscillation which is a beautifull feature which stops line digging in on it self and reduces drag on casting, they are a little slower in the retieve ratio, but has never left me wanting. There smooth as silk and for that money theres no contest.

Depends what feels good to you though.

Dan

I have a Twin Power 1000SDH (Paddle Handle) reel with a Loomis rod & they are a great match. The Twin Power is structured around the Stella & is a new series compared to the Sustain which has been around for yonks.

There isn't a significant difference between the 2, the Sustain has a better reputation (being around longer) which will help you sell it down the track.

The reason I chose the Twin Power over the Sustain (which was what I was going to get at first) was that Twin Power is new generation of reel based on new design of a proven reel (Stella) which in my guess is a positive thing. The other thing was that I managed to find the paddle handle version & I have always liked using paddle handles, I find they wind back like a baitcaster, that nice line flow.

If you think of it this way too, the Twin Power only comes with 1 spool (well mine did) so if you add the cost of the extra spare spool that comes with the Sustain, you will think that the Twin Power then, actually cost more. :)

In some countries Shimano only have the Twin Power & not the Sustain line because the Twin Power is the new generation.

* I have a Twin Power & love it so am a touch bias hehe, you really need to go to a retail store that stocks both & check them out that way.

Either way, you're going to win, they are both awesome reels. :)

Edited by Lunker_Hunter

Matt,

Please note that the twinpower youll find in aussie shops is one that has been custom done for the aussie market and as such is second-par to the japanese twinpower if you were to import one yourself. I think you can get a twinpower imported for that price so keep that in mind also. I know that if i was playing with those funds, i would definately be looking at getting one from japan.

Alternatively, if you want to spend a bit less and want quality and equal performance to the mentioned reels - have a look at the quantum energy. I just got myself one with 2 more on the way - for the money theyre awesome reels. Alot of guys that browse the internet forums will back the energy and a number even rate them higher than their sustains and the like.

Cheers loomylover, will definately consider it. What happens with the warranty (how long) on a quantum because I read somewhere (i will pm you where if you want) that parts for the reels are near impossible to get hold of and I can't find out how long the warranty is.

Also will the Jap Twin Power have a ten year warranty servicable in Austalia?

Cheers

Matt

Gday Matt,

I bought a 2nd hand quantum energy PTI 10, cost me $100, bought off Matrix the fishraider. It is my favourite reel. Reliable, smooth drag, and tough. I have a stradic and Ultegra and I prefer the quantum. It's a good buy. I saw them on a US site, and you can get them shipped here for round $250.

Paul

Oh and about warranty from Japan, I bought a Caldia Kix from Plat.co.jp and had a problem with the winding mechanism. Couldn't get it fixed here, had to send it to Japan, at my expense and still haven't got the damm thing back..Grrrr 2 weeks to get there, 1 month waiting on Daiwa Japan.....better off buying locally from Shimano. Daiwa has given me nothing but headaches!

Paul