Search For Carp Breeding ‘hotspots’ Underway

NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) scientists are searching for potential carp breeding sites in inland NSW rivers in order to identify recruitment ‘hotspots’ for the fish that has become Australia’s number one inland freshwater pest, Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said today.

The Minister said recent good rain throughout inland NSW has led to reasonably high flows in many river systems – and these are a cue for initiating spawning in many fish including the noxious carp.

'DPI research has found carp do not reproduce throughout entire river systems and that the vast majority of carp breed at a relatively small number of locations,' the Minister said.

'Sampling for carp larvae was done at, and downstream of, potential carp breeding sites, soon after the high flows passed.'

NSW DPI fisheries scientist, Dean Gilligan, said identification of these ‘hot spots’ provides important opportunities for carp control.

Larval carp sampling to identify the most important ‘hotspots’ is being done across the entire Murray-Darling Basin by NSW DPI scientists working with their counterparts from Victoria, South Australia and Queensland.

Dr Gilligan said these locations can then be targeted using a range of control options that are to be identified under a detailed Integrated Pest Management strategy.

The strategy is to be developed by fisheries scientists working under the auspices of the Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre.

Dr Gilligan said carp are the most significant pest of freshwater river systems in Australia, impacting on native fish communities, recreational fisheries and riverine environments.

'They dominate many river systems, comprising an average of around 80% of the fish biomass in many areas,' Dr Gilligan said.

Media contact: Joanne Finlay on 02 6391 3171 or 0428 491 813.

NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) scientists are searching for potential carp breeding sites in inland NSW rivers in order to identify recruitment ‘hotspots’ for the fish that has become Australia’s number one inland freshwater pest, Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said today.

The Minister said recent good rain throughout inland NSW has led to reasonably high flows in many river systems – and these are a cue for initiating spawning in many fish including the noxious carp.

'DPI research has found carp do not reproduce throughout entire river systems and that the vast majority of carp breed at a relatively small number of locations,' the Minister said.

'Sampling for carp larvae was done at, and downstream of, potential carp breeding sites, soon after the high flows passed.'

NSW DPI fisheries scientist, Dean Gilligan, said identification of these ‘hot spots’ provides important opportunities for carp control.

Larval carp sampling to identify the most important ‘hotspots’ is being done across the entire Murray-Darling Basin by NSW DPI scientists working with their counterparts from Victoria, South Australia and Queensland.

Dr Gilligan said these locations can then be targeted using a range of control options that are to be identified under a detailed Integrated Pest Management strategy.

The strategy is to be developed by fisheries scientists working under the auspices of the Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre.

Dr Gilligan said carp are the most significant pest of freshwater river systems in Australia, impacting on native fish communities, recreational fisheries and riverine environments.

'They dominate many river systems, comprising an average of around 80% of the fish biomass in many areas,' Dr Gilligan said.

Media contact: Joanne Finlay on 02 6391 3171 or 0428 491 813.

Hey, I've got an idea...why doesn't the Dept. of Primary Industry get those pro. fishermen that just got kicked out of Sydney harbour (and got compensation) to go fish for carp...a win-win situation if ever I heard one!! Killing two birds (or crap fish) with one stone.

Pete. :1prop:

Edited by MallacootaPete

Carp generally will look for slack shallow water to Spawn so I guess if they know when, it should not be too hard tracking down the Hotspots. Can they not electrofish these ares if they know where they are?

I'll find em for 5 ....... but I'll catch em .... and kill em for 10.... :1prop::1prop::1prop:

I know this may be a little off topic, but does anyone know what kind of fish they put in man made lakes or waterways (if they put any in at all)? I ask this because I was Bella Vista ice rink the other day, and walked outside and there is a small lake where people were practicing remote control yachts.

Anyways, I threw some food in the water and a few minutes later some quite large fish (looked like carp) took the food.

I saw at least 10 of them, with heaps of small fish in the water as well.

whoever made this lake, and put carp in there is certainly not helping the "carp being a pest problem".

Is it legal to fish them out from local lakes such as that?

bella vista lake is man made, but I think it is still connected to the shallaw creeks in the area... all of which hold heaps of carp. I have caught carp at crestwood reserve in baulkham hills after heavy rain, as well as toongabbie creek. :thumbup:

bella vista lake is man made, but I think it is still connected to the shallaw creeks in the area... all of which hold heaps of carp. I have caught carp at crestwood reserve in baulkham hills after heavy rain, as well as toongabbie creek. :thumbup:

Yea i have seen many of these lakes around that area, as i live close...

Haha i know carp is a pest but ive never caught one before, how well do they run when caught? :biggrin2:

Is it illegal to fish from man made lakes such as bella vista? would help out the waterways by fishing out a few :biggrin2:

and wat is the best time to go?

I think it would feel a little weird fishing from somewhere so unorthodox as those places... i dont know how you all feel about it, its just wat i think. Like to hear your comments.