Narrabeen Lake Shark

mrmoshe

Shark on the loose

JULIAN LEEMBRUGGEN

18mar06

A potentially aggressive bronze whaler shark is on the loose in Narrabeen Lakes, according to a peninsula fisherman.

Adam Scott, of Narrabeen, said he was fishing on the ocean side of the Pittwater Rd bridge when what he thought was a huge fish took hold of his line.

A 40-minute fight ensued and Mr Scott was eventually able to pull it aboard.

Mr Scott managed to take a picture of the shark before it started thrashing around violently and rolled back into the water.

``I couldn't believe it. I live near the lake and swim in there every day and to think there is a shark around there is scary,'' he said.

Mr Scott warned there could be more sharks living in the popular swimming spot.

``Once you catch one shark there has to be more,'' he said.

``We have been setting lines out to try and catch it again but so far we haven't had any luck.''

The lake was opened by Warringah and Pittwater Councils on January 18 and is believed to have naturally closed again several weeks later.

Mr Scott said he thought the shark could have been caught by an ocean fisherman and put in the lake as a joke or could have swum in while the lake was opened.

Bronze whalers can grow up to 3.25m long and weigh up to 300kg.

It is known as an aggressive species.

Narrabeen Lakes is a popular weekend spot for families.

A potentially aggressive bronze whaler shark is on the loose in Narrabeen Lakes, according to a peninsula fisherman.

Adam Scott, of Narrabeen, said he was fishing on the ocean side of the Pittwater Rd bridge when what he thought was a huge fish took hold of his line.

Dont mean to be skeptical, but this didnt come from a local paper did it?

post-1685-1142681953_thumb.jpg

Dont mean to be skeptical, but this didnt come from a local paper did it?

Yes, today's Manly Daily...I noticed they also had a picture of the shark being held by the bloke that caught it...it seemed to be taken indoors somewhere which doesn't gel with the story fully...something fishy :1fishing1: here I feel.

He says it broke free and swam away when he was trying to get the hook out but how did he manage to also get a pic of it indoors....hmmmmm

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

post-1685-1142681953_thumb.jpg

Yes, today's Manly Daily...I noticed they also had a picture of the shark being held by the bloke that caught it...it seemed to be taken indoors somewhere which doesn't gel with the story fully...something fishy :1fishing1: here I feel.

He says it broke free and swam away when he was trying to get the hook out but how did he manage to also get a pic of it indoors....hmmmmm

Pete.

Here's the entire article (with slightly more info) from the Manly Daily Saturday 18/3

Story seems a little suss to me...what do you all think??

The shark looks rather dead too.

Pete.

post-1685-1142723997_thumb.jpg

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest bluecod

C'mon it's gotta be true, after all it was printed in THE Manly Daily !! :1yikes: Almost as good as the Sutherland Shire Leader :074::074::074:

. . . . and dontcha just love the last line of the article, thrown in no doubt for the shock factor: "Narrabeen lakes is a popular weekend spot for families."

Well I'm going to go straight out there and lobby the State government to start up an airial shark patrol at Narabeen Lake. C'mon - don't they care about the safety of families!!!!

What a joke.

Stop laughing guys, I saw Jaws, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and it was all real.

I for one will not go any where near the lagoon and run the risk of a bronze whaler attack while in Woolworths at Narrabeen.

Nice beat up Mr Manly Daily :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: