Paua Or Abalone

clutch

Hi guys, was speaking to a mate from work today as to why he was off on the weekend and he told me that he had a 21st to attend so took leave for the weekend as it was going to be quite a party.

He's a Maori fella and because they have customary rights they can get a permit to take seafood for the special occasion, especially as it was held at their marae ( meeting house )

They got a permit for Crays and Paua and I'm pretty sure our Paua are very similar to your Abalone. Our Paua size limit 12.5 cm for the Blackfoot Paua and I notice that yours is 11.5 cm for Abalone.

They had to drive though umpteen farmers field and through heaps of gates on farmers fields and a heap of Maori land to get to this area......south of Auckland, and in belly-button height water they were able to harvest a heap of these.....look at the size

..because it was a big event lasting the whole weekend they took an astounding amount of Crayfish :1yikes:

Hi Clutch,

Would it be to much trouble to send us some of them

Paua fritters via courier to Sydney for us former NZ

boys living in OZ.lol :074:

We used to eat them by the bucket load as all my mates

Greek parents used to own most of the fish and chip shops

from Wellington to Upper Hutt.

Any way we are all over here now and suffering from

Paua fritter withdrawals,but we have managed to find

some L and P and peanut slab.

Got any photos of Wellington harbour or Petone wharf,

thats where I 1st got bitten by the fishing bug.We used to

scrounge bait from my mates fish shop and set out the

kontiki off the wharf in Petone,and we would be there catchin

herrings and spotties on handlines till it was time to bring the

kontiki in with larger fish.

Anyhow love the photos u post of Aotearoa.

Cheers :1fishing1: Penguin

Edited by penguin

Hi Clutch,

............but we have managed to find

some L and P and peanut slab........ :thumbup:

Got any photos of Wellington harbour or Petone wharf,

Cheers :1fishing1: Penguin

Penguin, havent spent much time down that way, altho the :wife: and I flew down to Wellington a couple of years ago and had a great time......Coutenay Place is great at night :thumbup::beersmile::beersmile:

Try this link for a couple of the Wharf and the general area

http://www.ibiblio.org/ahkitj/nikster/gall...tone/?g2_page=1

Penguin, havent spent much time down that way, altho the :wife: and I flew down to Wellington a couple of years ago and had a great time......Coutenay Place is great at night :thumbup::beersmile::beersmile:

Try this link for a couple of the Wharf and the general area

http://www.ibiblio.org/ahkitj/nikster/gall...tone/?g2_page=1

Thanks Clutch

your a gentleman.

Cheers :1fishing1: Penguin.

Penguin, youn live in the Eastern Suburbs, it wouldn't be Bondi would it (the East Island of New Zealand)

Why you guys want to leave the place is beyond me, you got such a majastic landscape, great skiing, fantastic fishing, lobsters as big as fire hose reels, snapper the size of a 6 burner BBQ in 6m of water 100m of your beaches, some great marlin and broadbill, monster trout and at least 20 sheep for every man. Thats a lot of lamb roast for a bloke. To top it off your economy seems to be on a roll.

Cheers

Penguin, youn live in the Eastern Suburbs, it wouldn't be Bondi would it (the East Island of New Zealand)

Why you guys want to leave the place is beyond me, you got such a majastic landscape, great skiing, fantastic fishing, lobsters as big as fire hose reels, snapper the size of a 6 burner BBQ in 6m of water 100m of your beaches, some great marlin and broadbill, monster trout and at least 20 sheep for every man. Thats a lot of lamb roast for a bloke. To top it off your economy seems to be on a roll.

Cheers

Hey there Martin,

I was just a teenager when my parents wanted to come to Oz and be

closer to our relos and other Greeks,I had no choice but to follow em,

and whats this 20 sheep to every bloke business.Hah?lol :074:

The only sheep im interested in is the one I can turn into souvlaki.

Cheers mate :1fishing1: penguin