Buying A Second Hand Boat Need Help

coollamon

Hey everyone

I am looking at buying my mates tinnie for $1500 it is a 3.75 meter allycraft with a evenrude 15hp engine

the only thing I am worried about is the age of the engine, its just under 15 years old

Saying that I have been out in the boat numerous times and there has never been a problem,There is an issue with starting i.e you have to have the throttle in a very precisie area to start it other thatn that it appears fine to my untrained eye

My questions are

1. is there anyhting specific that I should be lookign at in regard to the engine?

2.Is it fair for me to ask my mate to get the engine fully serviced?and if problems are noted fixed?

there are probably 10,000 more things I should be looking at but I dont know so I am asking for

a broad opinion in regard to this

My wife says that if I buy it and its stuffs up she will cut my dangly bits off lol

seeing as I like my dangly bits where they are could you people please point me in the right direction

and tell me what I shopuld be looking for or doing?

Thanks

coollamon

Hey mate,

Dont think you can be too picky for 1500 biscuits. If you like it and have been out in it and its gone well, then go for it. Like CFD said its only 1500 you cant go too wrong. I wouldnt stretch the freindship asking for a service either.

Take some pics give us a look.

Assuming the trailor is in reasonable condition & all is registered & BOAT CODED , as the others have said $1500 is a good price but let's see the pic's

In respect to the motor , perhaps a compression test . If you do not have a gauge , any auto mechnic will be able to assist.

Depending on the motor any thing above 125 lbs is OK.

Also , there should not be more than 15lbs between the readings.

The starting issue will be fuel related & should not be difficult to fix

Geoff

Guest bluecod

Put the rabbit ears on it and run it for a couple of minutes in gear - then check the gearbox oil for milkiness and the gearbox drain plug for metallic chunks.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys Finally I got it

Months later and countless hours she is finally in my carport

My Wife reckons I should name her "I'm Game If You Are" lol

Bear in mind that these photos are after I have stripped everything out of her so she look fairly shabby

But that wont last for long hehehehehe

Edited by coollamon

Wow, the motor is almost bullet proof,get a can of sea foam clean carbs and cyl. and my bet it will start frist pull all the time, that model motor is tops . Just decarb it befor haveing anyone service it. the motor has to be worth 12 to 1500 so you got a good buy. lol donnie

Hey guys Finally I got it

Months later and countless hours she is finally in my carport

My Wife reckons I should name her "I'm Game If You Are" lol

Bear in mind that these photos are after I have stripped everything out of her so she look fairly shabby

But that wont last for long hehehehehe

Mate she looks great ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1: