Squidding?

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

I used to consistantly score squid on jigs behind palm beach but no longer. Not asking for any secret spots but just some ideas of where people are scoring squid on a regular basis in Broken Bay.

Cheers.

Can't help much with spots, but what I can say is that my squid captures have improved markedly since I received a bit of advice from our site moderator friend CFD.

The advice was to not waste time/money with the cheapy squid jigs and to just bite the bullet and buy a Yo-Zuri (or two). The theory being that squid are closely watching the jig (obviously) looking to see if it meets their instinctive 'attack' criteria. If it sinks wrong, or moves wrong in the water, or has a slightly strange action they will reject it on instinct, and squirt off to chase something else - thus the better the jig, the better your chances of a hookup.

I'm sure that when the squid are thick and there's competition for food they'll hit just about any jig in your tackle box - but when they're thin on the ground, like they are at Palmy at the moment, you need all the help you can get.

I went squidding on Wednesday evening this week in the Eastern suburbs with a new white Yo-Zuri jig with pink and orange markings on its back and caught five good sized calamari squid within an hour. Jig cost me $17, paid for itself in one afternoon.

Mondo