Wa Fishing...

Tony Soprano

Gday guys, just got back on Sunday night after spending 10 days in WA...

First few days in Perth and then down to Albany for a week...

Didn't get a chance for a fish whilst in Perth as I didn't take any gear with me but made up for that by drinking plenty of beer and meeting a few of perth's lovely ladies... :1prop:

Once in Albany I borrowed some fishing gear off a mate who lives over there and managed to get out most days for a fish...

Had mixed success on the fishing front whilst there, catching plenty of herring, skippy (silver trevally), king george whiting, trumpeter whiting, squid, bream and small flathead... From talking to the locals it appears flatties over there don't get much over 40cm, so when one bloke watched me catch and release a 36cm one he figured I was crazy...

Didn't manage to catch any salmon despite putting in a good couple of hours on the beaches targetting them. The salmon were definitely there but well outside casting distance... Ah well not to worry...

On saturday me and my mate headed out from Albany on a charter boat, and I can safely say it was the best days fishing I have ever had, a good number of fish caught and almost all of them were of a decent size...

We fished in approx. 50m of water using 130lb braid :wacko:

First bait, first drop for the morning, as soon as the bait hit the bottom I got a solid hit, hooked up and 15 minutes of hard fighting later I landed my first (and probably last for a while) west aussie dhufish. He went 9kg and was one of the best eating fish I have ever had...

After that the samson fish came on with a total of 11 for the boat ranging from 70cm-1m+ all caught within about half an hour... My samson going roughly 80cm... All fish were solid and appeared to be very healthy...

Over the next hour or so we boated numerous snapper of different varieties (they have about 8 different types of snapper over there), morwong, breaksea cod, swallowtail and a few of the largest sgt. baker I have ever seen (largest being 70cm)...

Now the skipper told us that sgt. baker is one of the best baits for reef fishing over there so a couple of them were sacrificed for the cause, and what a good idea that was...

My mate hooked up to a steam train which took heavy drag with ease for one big run........straight into the reef...PING...

He rerigged, dropped down again and immediately hooked up again, after battling this submarine for about 20 minutes, he landed a 1m+ kingy going 11kg.... A great fish as far as I'm concerned, and the best part is it was caught on a lump of sgt. baker.... :tease:

After a couple of hours fishing the first reef we fished over gravel beds for a couple of gummy sharks (biggest one close to 6ft long) and a few more snapper...

The current started running pretty hard come midday and after that we only got onto a couple more fish at various spots and at 2pm called it a day...

Came back in with aching arms and a sore back but well worth it...

Kingfish sashimi for starters with a few beers and then bbq'd dhufish, kingy and gummy shark fillets topped off the best day of fishing I've ever had....unforgettable!

Sorry for the long report, I'll get pics up very soon...

Needless to say, I can't wait to get back over there...

Cheers, Tony.

post-787-1143529832_thumb.jpg

post-787-1143529870_thumb.jpg

post-787-1143529951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Soprano

Guest fishrunner

Nice dhufish there Tony, sounds like a great holiday over there. :yahoo:

How are your arms feelin now, slightly longer?

Well done

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Thanks guys, certainly was a great holiday...

And yes my arms are still feeling it!

Nothing a few more :beersmile: won't fix...

Whoa - what a charter! :1yikes: Some promise the world and deliver nothing, but those guys (any you, of course) must've known what they were doing. Great pics - I like 'em all the same.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Whoa - what a charter! :1yikes: Some promise the world and deliver nothing, but those guys (any you, of course) must've known what they were doing. Great pics - I like 'em all the same.

Flattieman.

Mate you are 100% correct, these guys didn't talk it up, they just did their thing and showed how good they are at their job...

To give you an idea what these guys get on a regular basis have a look at their website under recent photos...

http://www.spinnerscharters.com.au/

They considered Saturday to be an 'average' day...

:o:o

Great pics and report mate! Thanks for sharing.

How good is it to see someone come back from a holiday with a great report on a fishing charter..I've heard so many stories of charters not delivering for people and coming back empty handed..well done and I'm sure you won't be forgetting this trip in a hurry :1prop: