Clifton Gardens 02/04

Davy

Hey raiders...

Yes yes, we decided to give clifton another go, still pumped from the suprising action last week.

Got there around 5-6am..daylight savings really confuses me. but anyways was greeted by...noone :biggrin2: set up and started a fair berley trail of bread, tuna oil and old smelly pilchards...just like last week, the yakkas came out in heavy numbers which we managed to hook most during those early hours. As mentioned in Netic's report he turned up at clifton for some yakkas.

Soon as we put the livies out, there were a couple of hook ups, only to lose the fish after a few runs o by them spitting the hook. :05:

Some livies came back with a clean bite in its head, whic im guessing were squid.

After throwing out another yakka which was pretty big, it was hit by a greedy 27cm snapper, which was quite surprising. around 8-8:30am my dad got a big big big hookup (well for us anyways) off it went out towards the bay taking drag as fast as you can say 'SNAP'... which the line did after my dad decided to tighten the drag a tad. :1wallbash: Thats the second time he's lost a big fish at clifton. Twas like a train that couldnt be stopped... any ideas what it was? im still thinking it was a kingie.

I finally caught the resident trevally which busted me off last week, it went 34cm :yahoo: and believe it or not, it was my first trevally...ever! caught on a whole prawn which was too big for yakka bait.

By the way the guy that caught the big kingie last week, that i think a raider helped net it..was at clifton again (prob as keen as us!) we had a good chat about it... and he said it went 70cm! not 80 as somone mentioned on the site :1prop: But yea he was talking about nearly falling in and stuff which was amusing...

nyways..great day out, sorry no pix..left the cammera at home, i found that bringing a camera always jinxes me. :thumbdown:

Cheers

Davy :1fishing1:

P.S : those divers are really annoying. :mad3:

well done Davy, another good day out.

your Dad probably hooked a king, but Clifton produces so many species that you never know what will turn up next. Jewies, kings, salmon tailor etc,etc and even hairtail have been taken there, its a great spot at times.

Maybe it was one of my Dioxin Bream all charged bzzzzzzz :1prop: LOL... Gotta love the Trevs hey, I always have a ball with them around this time of year in Botany Bay and they're big buggers too. Good on ya champ for getting out there with the old man, I take mine out as well any chance I get. Cheers Sam

I reckon it's a good chance it's a king. You've had quite a few bust off's. you got heavy enough gear for the kings?? Not trying to muscle the kings with your bream stick are you?

Good on taking your old man with you, I almost always fish with mine too (he owns half my boat)

Next report will be a photo with your first King!!

I reckon it's a good chance it's a king. You've had quite a few bust off's. you got heavy enough gear for the kings?? Not trying to muscle the kings with your bream stick are you?

Lol nah mate...my dad was using 15 pound fireline with a 30pound leader, is that too light? coz the guy that caught the king last week, was using a 30 pound platypus line witha 50pound leader so i was thinking we might have to go with heavier leader, in case the fish takes us under the wharf?

Cheers

Davy

Edited by Davy

why not, you never know if you never go..(sorry that was lame)

For the line, i usually use 4kg line and always get busted off but whenever i change to heavier gear i cannot seem to hookup :1badmood: ..maybe use a heavier trace (if using lighter line and crank up the drag)

good luck

why not, you never know if you never go..(sorry that was lame)

For the line, i usually use 4kg line and always get busted off but whenever i change to heavier gear i cannot seem to hookup :1badmood: ..maybe use a heavier trace (if using lighter line and crank up the drag)

good luck

ok thanks. Im going to try with some 12lb fireline and 20lb trace. you think that would be ok?

Hey guys,

was down there recently and nailed a nice little 30-40cm flattie on a prawn star near the rocks last thursday, was stoked that it worked so well. Also wanted to share a crap story with you guys, was speaking to a local called juno there and weekend before last he was night fishing and these little unsavoury characters ran off with a Jew he caught that was close to 1m long!! (estimate of his hand jestures) he rekons he chased the guy with the fish but he hopped into a getaway car and sped off up the hill. He also said that these guys were there b4 and had no idea about fishing and he and a mate were helping them rig up and stuff.......

Doubt that they would show their faces there again but u never know. I just couldnt believe how low that is :thumbdown:

Also that's the first i've ever heard of a jewie from there, i hope it was a giant fugu fish and they died!!

Cheers

Peter

Yeah I reckon 30lb braid main line and 50 to 80lb leader. That way you can turn em eaesier and hopefully prevent them busting you up around the wharf.

good luck!

Kingy

mate that is the tackle we use for BIG kings (50lbers) - no need for such gear in the harbour, besides harbour fish would get spooked by 80lb trace. stick to mono as it is much more abrasion resistant than braid of the same breaking strain, another thing to note is you wont stop a decent king from reefing you by sheer brute force, they'll pull harder than you can give.

the guy that caught the king last week, was using a 30 pound platypus line witha 50pound leader so i was thinking we might have to go with heavier leader, in case the fish takes us under the wharf?

Cheers

Davy

Thats exactly what I used on mine last week .......down to the brand :biggrin2:

Personally, I wouldnt go less