Ultra-light Baitcast Rod

Little_Flatty

G'day ppl,

I'm looking to purchase a high end baitcaster rod for light work with SPs for Bream and the like. I currently have a Daiwa Pixy but I'm starting to feel the rod I have for it doesn't quite do it justice.

I have looked at the Daiwa Pixy rod which I'm impressed with but I thought seeing as it is a lot of money to spend I want to make sure i know all my options first. Anyone familiar with the Loomis range etc?

Btw I'm one of those baitcaster holdout nutcases that uses them for light work even though I know a threadline outfit will cast better...just like the feel of casting them more :1prop:

Thanks

Guest Jewel

Have a look at the Nitro range of rods mate, there make some lovely baitcasters and not quite as pricey as the Loomis offerings.

I think Pogo has a fair collection of them, might be worth getting in touch with him.

Cheers

Mick

I'm not a great expert on BC rods, but I love the high end Daiwa stuff ( I have a Battler Black Lady). I reckon the Pixy rod would be perfect for the Pixy reel, but it is a light setup - I wouldn't be throwing it at rack/tiger country bream. I presume there are some light Loomis rods available, but I don't think they have the refinement and finish that the Daiwa Heartland Z / Battler range has, althought the blanks are just as good. I would go to your nearest Daiwa Tournament dealer (there are seven in Sydney I think, including site sponsor, ABA), most of whom also stock Loomis, and take a look.

Thanks for the advice fellas...I'm going to hunt down the nitros and loomis' for a look and compare them to the pixy rod.

Swordfisherman - re the pixy reel, I knew about magnesium and saltwater prior to buying it but I decided seeing as I tend to baby my gear (well at least the stuff my dad doesn't pinch off me :1prop: ) it was worth the risk. Mind you I really hate having to be so careful with my stuff (reel gets rinsed religiously after fishing, dried, oiled, put into cloth bag) but I feel the joy of having a decent baitcaster that casts light stuff makes it worthwhile! My only wish is that they still made those ABU 1500s (came across one that someone wanted to sell a few weeks after buying the pixy :1badmood: ). Why oh why do they discontinue things that work, and have done so for years?!!!

What reel did you end up buying?