Clarencetown (williams River) 2/4/06

Jethro

Its been a while since I have had anything to post of any merit.

Myself and deckie decided to blow the bass cob webs out of our system and explore some new water, for us at Clarencetown.

We miss judged the run and when we arrived at the ramp its was still pitch black. Just on a side note I had forgotten how awesome the stars look once you are away fron the lights of town. So we had a bit of time to kill

Anyway as the sky was starting to get a bit lighter in the east we dropped the boat in. As more and more light came over the horizion we could start to make out the edge of the lilly pads. That was all we needed to get casting.

We were fishing poppers in and around the edge of the weed. The fishing was very slow, without so much as a touch in 20 mins, not looking good. But I persisted with with the popper while decikie went for a jackel...... Wouldn't you know it 3rd cast he hooks up. Only a small fish around 20cm but he was on the board.

I kept on with the popper and not long after I boated another small fish which made a b-line for my lure from under a lillypad, creating a little bow wave as he went.

As the day went on we tried spinnerbaits, SPs, HBs, etc and we were picking up the odd small fish here and there but couldn't raise a better quality one.

The final score for the day was Me-12 Deckie-9 :thumbup: with the best being the 1st fish at 20cm ish and smallest lucky to make 9cm.

Its just a great looking piece of water up there and I'm sure there has to be a better quality of fish around but they just didn't want to play..... Guess its just a good excuse to go back :1prop:

I have a couple of photos that i'll put up tomorrow

Jethro

I fished this area a lot growing up. Originall from Branxton. The fishing above the weir used to be good but now you only ever get small fish up there. Below the weir fishes well but the ski traffic as heavy.

If you are willing to travel a bit further the Karuha River at Boral fishes well upsteam with some large fish coming from this area. A canoe is best no boat ramp. My brother and I used to put a 10ft tinnie down the bank using a long rope and 4WD.

My best bass comes from here at 4lg 8oz.

Cheers

Kingpig

Thanks Kingpin

Its good to see good numbers of small fish in the system.......... but a couple of better fish would be nice :1prop:

A couple of my mates did Kuruah a few years ago and said nothing but good things.... Looks like I might have to think about getting another canoe.

Hi Jethro,

Sounds like a terrific time... I just love Bass'n and can't get enough!!

Don't ya just love it when you see them swim out from weed/cover after your lure and give it whack!!! :thumbup::yahoo:

How's those pics coming!!! I never get sick of seeing Bass - don't dissapoint me now! :074:

Cheers

David.

Jethro.

There was access to the river above Boral near a place called Washpool. This river has large pools of water and narrows down into shallow rocky runs and then back into large polls. Much the same as the Nepean River between Yarramundi and the Nepean Weir.

Down stream from Boral possibly 1km there is a weir as well. The only access to this part of the river is either upstream from a small town called Allworth or over the top of the weir.

I have fished this section of the river only twice but have caught some very nice bass from here.

Cheers

Brendon

Brendon - Thanks again for the info.. I might have to have a tarn to you if we get around to planning a trip. The next big canoe trip I want to do is the Clarence Gorge

Sorry guys... forgot all about the photos...

This was about the average size for the day

post-44-1144627322_thumb.jpg

Guest madsmc

Sounds like a good day to me Jethro. :thumbup:

I'm still a bass virgin, despite a full day and a half fishing the Williams/Paterson with Lightweight in the Pro Bass tournament a while back. Warwick managed to land a decent fish on a jackal on day one (I can't remember it's weight, Woz?), but I went fishless.

There were quite a few fish weighed in over the two days, with 2.01kg being the largest, but there were also some very small fish weighed as well. I think the general consensus was that there are some good fish but you need to work pretty hard to find them.

I'm in the process of getting a single seat kayak so I can head back up to Paterson next season for another go at the wild bass, so hopefully I'll be able to land one with the knowledge that I've gained during and after that comp weekend.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Hi Jethro, shane,

Any wild bass is a good fish in my opinion, even small ones are hard to come by. Looks like there was some serious fog that day or is it steam coming off the water?

Shane, it weighed in just under the kilo mark, from memory i think it was 910g.

I still think we where a bit unlucky those days, epecially not to get one under the rotting carcass that we found. plenty of maggots and fly's around it... I just couln't handle the stench any more.

:fart:

LW

Jethro

I fished the gorge area about 15 years ago with my brother. It is a great fishing experience. If you like this type of area another option is the Manning above Wingham at a place called Mt George.

Brendon

Shane

I have found that the best area to fish the Patterson River is more towards the junction with the Hunter at Hinton near Morpeth. You can access this area in a boat from the ramp at Morpeth but care is needed as there are some sand banks to navigate.

Bass come down the Hunter, Patterson and Williams Rivers and school around the Hexham area of this system every year to spawn.

Brendon

Guest madsmc

Shane

I have found that the best area to fish the Patterson River is more towards the junction with the Hunter at Hinton near Morpeth. You can access this area in a boat from the ramp at Morpeth but care is needed as there are some sand banks to navigate.

Bass come down the Hunter, Patterson and Williams Rivers and school around the Hexham area of this system every year to spawn.

Brendon

From memory I think we did have a quick troll near the junction. We didn't do any good, but a few other boats scored fish around that area from memory.

Are they a viable target during their spawn run, or is it better to leave them until after they start to move back upstream?

Fishing that rotting carcass during the comp was definately an odd experience. There was plenty of life around it, and we were getting some good hits, but gee didn't the bloody thing stink! :puke: And the flies to go with it were just too much to bear. :mad3:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Looks like there was some serious fog that day or is it steam coming off the water?

G'day Warwick - Yeah she was a foggy old morning.. Made for an awesome sunrise.... and fishing poppers around the lilly pads just made for one of those magical mornings

I fished the gorge area about 15 years ago with my brother. It is a great fishing experience. If you like this type of area another option is the Manning above Wingham at a place called Mt George.

Thanks again Brendon. Sounds like you and I might have to have a beer and a bit of a chin wag before we plan the trip

• 2 weeks later...

Jethro

Sorry I have been away for a few days. Glad to talk any time. It's getting a bit late the season down hear though.

My brother is still getting plenty of bass but he lives in Ballina.

Regards

Brendon