Combo For Sp $300 To $400?

loz

I require a new SP rod and reel and wish to spend 3-$400 any sugestions? Who dose the best deals in Sydney. ps I have just defected from a very slow site great work Ken fast as hell using Firefox

There's so many you can choose from. Shimano have a whole bunch of rods around the 100-150 range, from Ian Miller to Steve Starling. I even saw a Silstar Hi Graph that looked pretty good for the money and thats abt $99.That leaves u approx $100-200 on a reel. The Shimano Symetre 1500FI is abt $150 , and alot of ppl say they ar a great value for money reel. If u hear abt the Samurai series from Daiwa, I've heard the opposite, it has lots of ball bearings and is real cheap but it apparently has a short life span.

You cant go wrong with the Shimanos, be it the rods or the reels. I just got an Ian Miller Rack Raider from Rick T, actually its my friend's, and its pretty damn good for the price.

U have another option if u can swing ur budget upwards a little, abt $50 I think. There was a special on for a Black Diamond Bluestone for $199 shipped.Its got funky cork grips that are nice and short and quality Forecast Blanks.I dont know if the special is still on tho. So $199(rod) and 150(reel-shimano symetre) buys u a high quality set up but doesnt break the bank.

Have fun with ur search :P I've just gotten my first rod and reel and have been having a ball, I'm gonna have to go through it all again for my gf's set up haha.

Matt

PS Dammit, I kept thinking ur budget was 350, and its actually a max of 400. My bad

Edited by Matrix

loz,

I have purchased 2 new outfits that fit within your budgets.

The first is a Daiwa heartland IM6 and daiwa harbodyz kastor 1500 reel. That combo set me back $170 but it was on special. Normally around the $240 mark.

The second was the Strudwick sick stic pro 1-3kg stick with another daiwa harbodyz kastor 1500 reel. That combo should fit within your budget.

I beleive that if you are spending $400 tops you should spend up close to your limit to ensure you get the best quality that you can afford. Don't forget to factor in some line for the new reel as well.

Hope this helps

Lee

g'day loz,

Lee has some good deals there, another one worth mentioning is a rack raider with Stradic. i'm pretty sure you can get that for about 299, which leaves 100 for line and little accesories. this isn't a bad deal as the real alone retails at about $265

cheers,

Mitch

I have Allen making me up a flick stick at the moment.  Have a think about that.  He certainly can do it within the budget you specified.  I have never had a custom rod before and that aspect alone makes it quite appealing.  Send him a PM.

when doing the quotes for pedro one of the prices I came up with for a rod to suit his specific needs was $285 ( or was it $290 pete)

that may push your budget a bit when you add a decent diawa reel but still I think a pretty decent price for a Cork/Alconite, US graphite, custom rod designed to suit light SP's feel free to drop me an email and Ill see if I can make up a similar rod to suit your needs that lands in that price bracket.

In the meantime you could checkout this site

www.graphiteusa.com the United Pioneer P-UR66l is the blank I used for Pedros quote described above.

not the one I ordered pete

Edited by allen glover

I'm also after a new rod as I broke my bream rod on a snag in Eucumbene on the weekend. The black diamond bluestone special is still on apparently and I'm certainly considering that as an option. What do the sik stik and rack raiders go for and how do you think they compare to the black diamond?

The rod I broke was a D.A.M Sumo I bought a long time ago and was a beautiful rod if a little short at 6' - now I can go to 6'6". I also broke the ferrule on my 6 weight fenwick yesterday so it was a pretty bad weekend on that front. Oh well at least the fly rod has a no-fault warranty and I caught a lot of medium size fish in the river!!! Definitely visit if you can in the next few weeks and take some glo-bugs along - they are just stupid at the moment :D

Cheers,

Hugh

Pisco

If ur in Sydney and not keen on mail order, u can get a Rack Raider for between $120-170. My friends and I went looking around just recently and we saw this rod in two tackle places. One place sold it for $120 and another was for $174(city store). I'm sure u can find it in many other stores cos I havent been to one which doesnt sell Shimanos yet.

I've used the Rack Raider a couple of times now (threadline, not baitcaster) and its such a great rod for the price. For the price I think it'd be impossible to beat, period. That being said, it's not as sensitive as some of the higher calibre brands. I'm getting more and more used to my BD now, and this is and always will be my benchmark as its my first rod.

What u said abt ur sadly broken SUMO 6 footer :( ,ur right.....my rod is also a 6 footer and I'm starting to feel like I'd benefit from a 7 footer now. I'd like to be able to cast a little further but still have great feel.