Whiting

domza

i really like targeting whiting but i cant really seem to get the big ones.

i was drifting towra and got 3 @30cm which is good but it took over 2 hours to get them..so my question is where can i go to get consistent 'bigish' whiting.

i know the moons in the georges river has thousands of them, and they are great fun but they're only 20-25cm..

also which baits do u find are the best; ive had most success on prawns drifting, but have not yet tried live nippers(will next trip), i also got 2 out of those 3 30cm whiting on berkley gulp sandworms along with a flathead(my first fish on SP's :thumbup::thumbup::beersmile: )

there is a good spot near dangar island in the hawkesbury, narrabeen lake has also produced on the gulp worms and there are an abundance of weed/sand banks in the hacking and the yabbies!!. botany bay the flats infront of brighton near weed patches produce well, but so far its the northern beaches that produces the most consistent legal whiting for me!! i hope the mods dont mind me mentioning but col bukleys repotrs and article on whiting is one i found very useful.

berkley vanish leader or a good flurocarbon light leader works well yet its a bit hit and miss with this species..

cheers pk :1fishing1:

Edited by pk-fishn

Guest johblow

Yeah, ill third the yabbies recommendation - the best all-round bait IMHO. Whiting will always take them if they are on the bite. A tip: have a cast of an unweighted yabbie imediately after or during pumping, as they hang around sifting through the clouds of debris (if you are pumping with in a bit of water). I love the feeling of a whiting bite; do that nice string running bite thingo, and they fight well. Very nice looking fish.

I've caught a huge whiting at apple tree bay, about 47cms or something - it was as thick as!!! There is a pic posted somewhere on this site of it. There aint to many of that size around i would guess. Narra is great for whiting on the flats just upsteam from the ocean bridge on the run in with yabbies... that is, when the entrance is open!!! :mad3:

Whiting love nippers and a moving bait. When I bait fish for whiting I always cast out the bait and use a dead slow retieve and the whiting will be all over it like white on rice. I use a tieny wieny sinker as well because it kicks a bit of mud and works well for flatties and bream.

I also use red hooks and a piece of red tube just above the hook they seem attracted to the colour red.

They are great fun to catch on sps also the gulp sand worms work a treat.

Good Luck.

Love these damn fish. They're fun on light tackle and great for a feed as well. I've caught heaps of them on live blood worms. And yes, the Berkley Gulp range of worms look as good as the real thing, haven't tried out my recent purchase yet.

Sharky - Yes, I have heard of the red tubing work wonders, and tried it even last weekend, but funnily enough caught nothing. The moment I took the tubing off, bites all around......Interesting ain't it?

Cheers,

Ash

Guest johblow

Ill second the red stuff. I use a red bead just above the a red hook, and have actually caught whiting with no bait!!!

Yep, Red beads works wonders for me. Agree with the moving bait and light sinker. I normally target them @ the beach so the baits is naturally on the move.

I get most of mine on worms and pipies. Don;t often seem them over 29cm, i hear also that night time is the best option, otherwise move to VIC or SA and go for some King George. mmmmmmmmm.

Edited by Beach Fisho