Kr Spiral Wrap Bc66ul-2 Custom Special

Guest Saqa

I am working on something very special at the moment. This is an ultra light baitcast rod configured with spiral wrapped guides. This approach alows the use of minimal weight on the tip area. The line at this stage is under the rod and doesnt require a million guides to clear the blank and preserves the senstivity of the rod and stops the rod from trying to roll in the hands. Just building on top of the spine is never enough as there are other factors which induce torque.

This is the decal which is going on the rod. I will follow up with pics of the handle when completed and the once the guides are on I will take some pics of the rod under load

post-1888-1145805774_thumb.jpg

Guest Big-Banana

Ill be keen for the pics. Iam intrested in getting a spiral wrap built soon. You may be the man me thinks.

Looks like there is a market for spiral wraps after all Rohit :1prop:

Cheers mate, can see it's coming along nicely :biggrin2:

Can also see you have a knack for dreaming up new model names :)

Its fun to come up with names

Spiral wrap (spiral wrapped) BC (baitcast) 66 (6'6") UL (ultralight) 2 (2pc)

All my names can be broken down like this

G - graphite

EG - e-glass

SP - spin

BC - baitcast

UL - ultralight

L - light

ML - medium light

M - medium

MH - medium heavy

H - heavy

XH - extra H

XXH - extra XH

example 60 - 6 foot

example 100 - 10 foot

example 56 - 5 foot 6 inch

The spiral baitcast UL will be wrapped and epoxied tonight

The spin UL will be wrapped and epoxied tomorrow night

Will allow each one 24 hr for epoxy to cure then take lots of photos. Anyone wishing to eyeball the rods before Little_Flatty picks it up are welcome to visit my workshop in the weekend. Call me to make arrangements

Little_Flatty

Your rods will be ready to pickup on Sun Arvo

Hi all

Finished wrapping the Spiral wrap UL baitcast rod. Too buggered to apply epoxy finish today. Will do when I wake up. Check out the pics

This is the handle in all its glory. The weat is exposed blank style. I have used the sealer I have developed on the cork. The sealer contains golden teak tint aka the curry-butt. It doesnt affect the feel of cork too much. The advantage is cork which will last much longer then natural and be much easier to clean. And the tint will hide the corks age in the long run.

post-1888-1146161574_thumb.jpg

This is the closeup of the hook keeper wrap and the decal waiting for the finish

post-1888-1146161660_thumb.jpg

This is the closeup of the stripper guide. I have used single foot guides throughout in the smallest possible sizes to keep the weight to a minimum and preserve the delicate and fine tip on the UL blank. The rod is rated at 1-3kg. I have kept the wraps as short as possible and the thread is size A

post-1888-1146162016_thumb.jpg

This is what the spiral config looks like on the butt section. The tip section (not pictured) looks almost like any spin rod.

post-1888-1146162223_thumb.jpg

The final step on this is the epoxy finish. I will apply a very thin coat on the wraps and heat it so that it flows like water and wicks into the thread and soaks right to the blank. Then I will wick away exces expoxy with the brush from the tip section to further minimize weight.

As you all can see I have botched the pics yet again. Any tips from fellow raiders on how to photograph a rod will be greatly appreciated. I welcome your comments on the cork colour. Guess what Haraka will say :biggrin2:

Edited by Saqa

The cork colour looks great, adds some class and makes the rod look finished, some cork handles look like pine furniture you buy and then stain yourself.

Cheers

Chris

exactly

This trend has to stop Rohit.....

You are secretly fantasising about the curry-butt on your rods...yes you are....you will come asking me for the curry-butt after some more hot curried lamb and those snacks :1prop:

Looks the part Saqa. I am also ready to buy mate as per our telephone conversation.

I will be in touch very shortly me friend.

Cheers.

I'm excited! :biggrin2:

Still restless at the late(ish) hour and wha? Saqa baits me with a PM saying he's about to go outside for a test cast!

Aaaah not gonna get much sleep tonight now :yahoo:

Marlin-Madness: what are you going to get built up - an ultralight rod or something a bit heavier?

Mike

ps. Saqa you should have seen the looks on my colleagues faces at the mention of 'Curry Butts' on the phone at work today :tease:

Hi Little_Flatty,

Well mate i just did a big upgrade of all my fishing gear.

So I have 2 new 2006 Quantum pti energy 10 arriving which need to be matched up to a rod. Perfect that Saqa can custom design etc. So yeah Light Spinning would be perfect.

Then I have the Shimano Chronarch mg 50 that I won off Modern Fishing (as I keep reminding people lol) that I need to get a rod for. So something for barra to bass size rod.

I suppose I just would like to get away from the mainstream LOOMIS, MILLER (not that I have owned a miller), DAIWA etc, I would like something a little more special - that is where SAQA comes in.

I know that HARAKA has a few rods from SAQA, maybe HARAKA you can take a pic of a few and show us the goods mate?

Cheers!

Spiral is finished. Spin will be finished tonight. will post photos of spiral loaded up tonight. Right now the spiral is going on a showoff parade to my mates at the tackle shop. Little_Flatty, I will try my best to keep all the drool off it.

Spiral is finished. Spin will be finished tonight. will post photos of spiral loaded up tonight. Right now the spiral is going on a showoff parade to my mates at the tackle shop. Little_Flatty, I will try my best to keep all the drool off it.

Collected my rods today. The Bream UL is for my dad but it definitely looked the goods :thumbup:

The sprial baitcast UL...well what can I say? It's an absolute beauty and I finally have a baitcasting outfit that will throw those ultralight SPs a bit further than a ridiculously short distance. I can be a baitcaster holdout for a little longer yet :biggrin2:

Was going to go to collect the rods off Saqa at his workshop but he asked me to meet him down at the Cooks instead...I didn't realise he had intended to take pics of the rod loaded up by a decent school jew aka Stewy style :1yikes: ! Didn't happen unfortunately...had to rely on Saqa's neighbour's kid to take the lure instead :1prop:

Christened the rod today with none less than a little flatty on a bass minnow. Yeah! :biggrin2:

I hope the spiral UL continues to catch you a lot of fish Little_Flatty. I am glad you liked it.

Raiders

I had my young friend load the rod up but I stuffed up the pics completely. Here is the only decent one I got of the rod. I will have one spiral model at the hairtail social that will be avialable for on the water testing by interested raiders. Let me know if anyone of youse are interested in playing with one there and which line class and wether bait fishing style or lure fishing style

post-1888-1146412588_thumb.jpg