Boating Etiquette

Mondo Rock

OK - I'll Bite

As someone who is about to take delivery of a brand spankin new boat (Quinnie Legend 480 - SO excited), and who will undoubtedly be out and about on the Hawkesbury/Brisbane Water system trying desperately to get his first big Jewie, I would very much appreciate any tips from the more experienced out there as to what the etiquette is for anchoring up at a spot where other boats are fishing.

In particular I'm interested to know:

• How far away from other boats is acceptable?
  • Where should I position my boat in relation to other boats already anchored?
  • Are there any rules around how I set my anchor, e.g. noise and/or type?
  • What is the etiquette where a boat nearby has hooked onto a monster?
  • Is excessive noise etc considered a no-no or does nobody really care?

I'd also be interested in any tips around drifting and whether there are any no-no's in that regard.

In the interests of site harmony can I also request that any disagreements on exactly what the etiquette is be resolved without getting emotional. No dummy spits please!!

Mondo

As someone who is about to take delivery of a brand spankin new boat (Quinnie Legend 480 - SO excited),

I'm really jealous! :drool: Seriously though, a really good subject - I often hire a tinny and have wondered about these rules - amongst others re: etiquette (rock fishing, sharing gutters on beaches etc.)

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Mondo how are you mate. Awsome to hear of the new boat comming. I love those things. You'll have to let us know how it is. As for the questions mate, i'm no amazing boat pro, and i'd welcomely accept any suggestions from more experienced boaties on this site. Being a local fisher or Pitty/broken bay/cowan/hawks. iv'e gone with the following proceedures.

• How far away from other boats is acceptable? - I'd say no one likes to be fished on top of. Especially if they were there first. (hard on weekends sometimes). You can feel if you are too close. I'm not good at geussing meters so i'd say 7 - 10 trailer boat lengths away. Maybe more, depends on the spot. If there is a bubbling school on the surface then it may be a little different. Just don't come buring up and put the school down.

• Where should I position my boat in relation to other boats already anchored? - for this i'd say in a position so as the current if any doesn't push or pull your rigs into theirs. Tangles suck when the fish are on for someone.

• Are there any rules around how I set my anchor, e.g. noise and/or type? There are a few reefs around. Need a reef pick. The sand anchors are heavy big wedges and can both get stuck on the reef easily, and also damage reefs. Anchor a small distance up the current and then drift or reverse the boat back a little before tying off. This helps the boat from bobbing up and down so much with bigger swells as the anchor rope bobs it down again. if the anchor isn't dragging trough delicate reef, even better.

• What is the etiquette where a boat nearby has hooked onto a monster? - Give em' room to fight the beast. Offer any assistance if needed, or just keep an eye out to see if they need any in the process. If you are comming in to help, and the fish starts to run at your boat, cut the motor.

• Is excessive noise etc considered a no-no or does nobody really care?- I think it's nice to keep distance and noise down with motors when other boats are around a fishing spot. The fish are too wary already.

Sorry about the essay mate. Hope these can help and am sure other more experienced boaties have a lot more to add. see you out there.

OK - I'll Bite

As someone who is about to take delivery of a brand spankin new boat (Quinnie Legend 480 - SO excited), and who will undoubtedly be out and about on the Hawkesbury/Brisbane Water system trying desperately to get his first big Jewie, I would very much appreciate any tips from the more experienced out there as to what the etiquette is for anchoring up at a spot where other boats are fishing.

In particular I'm interested to know:

• How far away from other boats is acceptable?
  • Where should I position my boat in relation to other boats already anchored?
  • Are there any rules around how I set my anchor, e.g. noise and/or type?
  • What is the etiquette where a boat nearby has hooked onto a monster?
  • Is excessive noise etc considered a no-no or does nobody really care?

I'd also be interested in any tips around drifting and whether there are any no-no's in that regard.

In the interests of site harmony can I also request that any disagreements on exactly what the etiquette is be resolved without getting emotional. No dummy spits please!!

Mondo

G`day Monds,

My Dad always gave 6 boat lengths as a reasonable distance to anchor up from others there Ist.

I would think Upstream of the others , but if there`s more than 3 boats on a particular ground , I would look for another.

Common sense would apply as to noise when anchoring , only yahoos swing the anchor around their shoulders before casting it out , most fishos , just ease it over the side and make as little noise as possible .

Where a boat nearby has hooked onto a monster , there is not much you can do really , and especially if you are alone .

Once you pull your anchor , you begin to drift immediately unless you start your motor ist , and then you will have 100 feet of rope dangling beneath your boat untill you retrieve your anchor, so I think its best to just stay put.

Excessive noise is considered an absolute NO_NO when fishing Monds ,and the only other thing worse than rowdy fisho`s , is drunken ones , hammering all over the place creating wash , and endangering others.

Most biffos you see at boat ramps are generally from something that happened on the water rather than someone pushing in.

Thats My thoughts on the Matter.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

Thanks for the advice Alex and Mick - some good advice in there, especially re the issue of what to do when a boat nearby is fighting a biggun.

Most of it seems to be pretty much common sense, i.e. don't anchor up too close, especially when downstream, keep noise to a minimum etc. I enjoyed the mental image of someone twirling an anchor around their head before they throw it (thanks Mick!) - and I imagine that natural selection will take care of such idiots before too long (when they get the rhythm wrong and smack themselves).

Honestly, I can really sympathyse with those on this site who get frustrated with the weekend warriors who are incapable of following simple etiquette - given how straightforward it all seems to be. Whilst it is understandable that people want to fish the good spots (like Juno) I reckon that if you get there and there are so many boats that you can't fish without:

a. breaking basic boating etiquette, or

b. fishing too far away from the action for it to be worth it

then it's just bad luck and you should go exploring for another location.

Anyhow - I will post pics once the new boat arrives since I reckon those on this site will be the only ones able to fuly comprehend just how excited I'll be once it arrives!!

Mondo

Edited by Mondo

Thats great news mondo,

1st thing you should do is to make sure you have enough chain, there is nothing worse than drifting though other boats while at anchor - when i picked up my 480 freedom sport it came with a very basic anchor kit (2 metres of chain, a sand anchor & 30 metres of rope). I now carry 130 metres rope, 5 metres of chain a sand anchor and a reef anchor.

Always lower your anchor - never throw it

The only thing that pees me off when im anchored in a spot is the fools that cruise past within 10 metres and wave at you, (they then give you dirty looks when u dont wave back) - they r meant to be aleast 30 metres away - u will soon expirence that :ranting2:

Your boat should be easy to launch and retrieve by your self, but if you ever need a hand ask some one or if someone asks acept there help

mainly all comon sense - but comon sense isnt comon

Good luck, i may see you up at pittwatter, hawksbury brisbane waters - love that waterway

regards

aron

Wise move to start this thred Mondo, and congrats on the new boat- just what id want too :thumbup:

I think what needs to be clarified is that when i talk about dos and donts im talking about jewie fishing.

Ill just add that in regard to anchoring, in spots like Juno or any "point" really, position yourself side by side, NOT BEHIND other boats and if someone hooks a big fish ill pull my lines in and if up anchor if necessary or asked.

Just remember to enjoy yourself and not get too concerned about rules on the water. day to day life is stressful enough and i get on the water to relax first and foremost. Use commonsense and if in doubt ask the boat/s around if they mind first or where you should anchor, most people will be glad to help.

i only have 1 rule and it works for me "do unto others.."

my sentiments exactly, park your boat the same distance from others that you would want them to park from you if you were there first.

and remember that etiquette starts before you hit the water, have your boat ready to go before you back down the ramp so you are on the ramp for the shortest possible amount of time.

Guest wayneo

im agreeing with jewnut

what i have to say is get in early if your there first you can anchor where ever you want.but you have to realise if your not there first some poor bloke thats been there for 3 or 4 hours doesnt want you ancoring

behind him with your anchor on top of his baits.your anchor being there will definatly spookthe fish away.

when i get to a particular hole the last thing i want is to harm some poor blokes chances of getting a feed.

its very simple anchor about 15 - 20 metres apart side by side and not behind.that gives every boat every chance of getting one.

as for me i get up at 3 am go out do 3 hours of bait fishing then get to my spot and there is no one there

and 3 hours later boats just start anchoring up and destroying my chances of landing a big fish.most of you can imagine what these big fish run like so we should just have a little respect for eachother out there and hopefully evryone gets a chance of enjoying there time on the water.

remember anchor,chains and rope dont mix well with other peoples lines,baits and hooks.

hope everyone can get something from everyone has to say and put it to good use

see you on the water

wayneo

thanks for all that great info ppl's :)

As my boat is un-named, rego KC9N, so you can recognise me on the water, quiet happy for a fello fisho to give me a few pointers out on the water or drop by and say g'day.

Top thread, well done

thanks for all that great info ppl's :)

As my boat is un-named, rego KC9N, so you can recognise me on the water, quiet happy for a fello fisho to give me a few pointers out on the water or drop by and say g'day.

Top thread, well done

G`day Crowie ,

You could always Name your boat ....The...... AAARRRRKKKKKKKK.

Mick

Guest crow

G`day Crowie ,

You could always Name your boat ....The...... AAARRRRKKKKKKKK.

Mick

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post::074:

Just got off the floor from laffn, mick.....but you got me thinking