A Bream With Two Hooks

OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

Slipped back up to That Spot I posted on here some time back , and as we arrived the wind began blowing its butt off.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...topic=10838&hl=

Anyway Soon after my Ist cast , I landed a small bream that can you believe , stilll had two hooks dangling from the side of its mouth , one rusty , one reasonable shiny .

Bugga , I thought as I checked my bag for the Camera , then realised I had left it on the top of the Fridge when I got the Bait out.

Never mind I thought , no big deal , so I dehooked him and returned him to the river .

One of My Two FB`s was casting lures and against my sound advice lost a pair of new Rio Prawns and another soft Plastic one as well.

So baits and sinkers ruled from then on in , but the wind was unbearable , and Just as we agreed to pull the pin , off went my 6LB outfit .

Now as soon as I set the hook , I new it was something solid , because it peeled off 50 metres of line in a heartbeat , on 3/4 drag .

I played the bugger as best I could , and on the second run , I knew it was a Sting Ray , so I just tried to steer him away from the mangroves and get him as close as I could to Cut the line and set him free.

But can you belive this , when I finally got him close enough to cut him off , he was about 1 metre accross the flaps , I could see he had been de-tailed , almost up to his spine , and sadly the cut at the butt of his tail was as clean as a whistle.

Why anyone would want to inflict this sort of injury on a marine creature is beyond me , and I just hope he does not own a pet.

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

Slipped back up to That Spot I posted on here some time back , and as we arrived the wind began blowing its butt off.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...topic=10838&hl=

Anyway Soon after my Ist cast , I landed a small bream that can you believe , stilll had two hooks dangling from the side of its mouth , one rusty , one reasonable shiny .

Bugga , I thought as I checked my bag for the Camera , then realised I had left it on the top of the Fridge when I got the Bait out.

Never mind I thought , no big deal , so I dehooked him and returned him to the river .

One of My Two FB`s was casting lures and against my sound advice lost a pair of new Rio Prawns and another soft Plastic one as well.

So baits and sinkers ruled from then on in , but the wind was unbearable , and Just as we agreed to pull the pin , off went my 6LB outfit .

Now as soon as I set the hook , I new it was something solid , because it peeled off 50 metres of line in a heartbeat , on 3/4 drag .

I played the bugger as best I could , and on the second run , I knew it was a Sting Ray , so I just tried to steer him away from the mangroves and get him as close as I could to Cut the line and set him free.

But can you belive this , when I finally got him close enough to cut him off , he was about 1 metre accross the flaps , I could see he had been de-tailed , almost up to his spine , and sadly the cut at the butt of his tail was as clean as a whistle.

Why anyone would want to inflict this sort of injury on a marine creature is beyond me , and I just hope he does not own a pet.

Mick

Hi Mick

I agree and hope those people don't have a pet. I caught a 30cm tailor a couple of months ago that had a large hook (4/0 - 6/0) in its throat as well as my own no. 2 size a bit futher up. I was able to remove my hook but left the other in as it didn't seem perturbed about it and smashed my bait so was obviously feeding well.

Cheers

Chris

This could be a topic that causes a bit of a stir, but I have often wondered if those among us who insist on chasing fish with really light line might be doing the fish a bit of a disservice.

I especially wince when I read reports of bream sessions where the bream, in multiples of 10, are being hooked and busting off on 4lb line.

Mondo

G`day Fellas ,

Hey Monds , I agree with you entirely.

Its a well known fact that bream are a very hearty breed and good survivors .

There are also a Stack of other breeds that recover well , and I`m fine with chasing that specific species for some sort of a record for gamesmanship , and now because we tag and release most game species , we are beginning to find out what those are.

But not so for the Old Flattie I`m afraid , The flattie has the worst recovery rate of them all sadly.

I don`t know how many juvenile flatties I have returned to the surf , only to see them wash up further down .

SO , fishing too light ,for too big a fish has to do some damage , but I dont think it seems to worry most of the surface feeders too much.

I too caught a Big Greenie just last year , with a set of 4 ganged 6/0 hooks in its throat , as well as my 3 ganged 4/O`s as well.

Mick