I Am New Please Help Me!

Guest Chinamen

Guest Chinamen

Hey ppl

-I am new to boating and i have recently purchased a Savage Ranger 1991 model 4.3meters (wot u boys think about the boat/quality??)

-I always have issues starting my Mercury seapro 25HP :thumbdown: i have changed to new spark plugs and always mix 50:1

WOT AM I DOing WRONG

I have heard from mates that when the manual start merc gets old, starting the :ranting2: does start becoming an issue :ranting2: .

is that true and wot can i do to fix the problem

would servicing the :ranting2: work???

ON THE OTHER HAND

WOULD LOVE TO MEET UP WITH SOME OF YOU LADS AND HEAD OUT TO BOTANY FOR A FEW BREWS AND STORIES AND MOST IMPORTANLY !!!FISHING!!!

MY SHOUT!

EMAIL ME

Edited by Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

Thanks buddy much appreciated!!!

I am seriously a Chinamen

and the name change... well... i thought i should use something i am more use to

I am just an eazy going bloke and enjoys fishing and going on the piss :tease:

My boat will have "CHINAMEN" written on it

so... give us a shout when you see me on the waters and join me for a few brews on the house!!!

why not share the love!

Edited by Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

• 1 month later...

Hey Chinamen ,

Are you still having issues starting your boat? Here are some things you might check to rectify the problem :

1) Compression .

2) Carby.

3) Timing

If the motor had not been used for some time before you purchased it , the fuel in the carbys may have gone "off " , leaving a gummy residue which may be interfering with the correct operation. What technique do you use to start the engine when cold ( choke etc ) . How does the engine run / start when hot? Do you have a good strong spark across the sparkplug electrodes ? A weak spark can make them very hard to start as well .

Ross

well....

before when i try starting it... it just won't start with choke or no choke

when hot... it start first pull

now... the :ranting2: won't even start properly when hot

so... i am going to get the :ranting2: serviced which will cost me about $300 and if it still does not start... i am going to :chair: the :ranting2:

Have you tried pulling the plugs out after a failed start attempt to see if they were wet? My money is on dirty carbs first , weak spark and timing second . Let us know what you have found out ,

See you ATB on Sunday night !

Ross

yep

cleaned plugs with cloth and wire brush when at home trying to flush out motor...

still have problems starting :thumbdown:

i have been told that old merc's (manual start) have problems starting due to age

is this true???