Shimano Baitrunners

domza

Im on the market for a new reel and looking deeply at the shimano baitrunner series.

I noticed today that shimano have a new 'aero' baitrunner.

They come in 5000 6000 and 8000 sizes, but the only main difference in size is the spool.

They are slightly cheaper then the classic baitrunners and are abit lighter(in weight), but that doesnt worry me.

Which reel do you think would be the better one to get?

i also heard okuma make good baitrunners, has anyone had experience with them?

thanks

Guest wayneo

hey there domza

seriously i wouldnt waste my money on okuma reels hey i have thrown to many away coz they cant take the real pressure that i exspect from a reel.but i learnt the hard way.

it depends what size reel you want for what type of fishing.the best reel for the money you pay i think anyway is the shimano 6500 baitrunners.mate they are bloody awsome .just make sure you clean after every trip and loosin your drag when not using your reel. if you look after that reel you will get great value for your money but if your looking to spend over$1000.00 i can recommend some better reels bit for around $250 that reel will do everything and then some more for you.maybe every 12 or 18 months you might have to change your washers thats all but that only costs about $12.00

hope that helps good luck with your decision

cheers wayneo

Domza -

I have a Penn Live Liner 5600. Its done a fair bit of work on Harbour Kings and has been used on one of the beach rods from time to time. Had no problems what so ever. I think they are around $250 may be a bit dearer than a Shimano but they are a little lighter have more bearings (if that's any indication of quality) and have slightly higher gear ratio of 4.6 -1. You may want to check them out before you decide. Good luck with your purchase anyway.

John.

hey there domza

seriously i wouldnt waste my money on okuma reels hey i have thrown to many away coz they cant take the real pressure that i exspect from a reel.but i learnt the hard way.

it depends what size reel you want for what type of fishing.the best reel for the money you pay i think anyway is the shimano 6500 baitrunners.mate they are bloody awsome .just make sure you clean after every trip and loosin your drag when not using your reel. if you look after that reel you will get great value for your money but if your looking to spend over$1000.00 i can recommend some better reels bit for around $250 that reel will do everything and then some more for you.maybe every 12 or 18 months you might have to change your washers thats all but that only costs about $12.00

hope that helps good luck with your decision

cheers wayneo

thanks, i was looking at the largest baitrunner(6500) used for everytype of fishing, from livebaiting, to bottem bashings, beaching and float fishing.