Tackle Tragedy

kbark

I had a brand new 7ft 1pc pflueger 2-5kg sp rod. Loved it. A mate bent it the wrong way and it's now a 2pc.... :(

Was wondering what to do with it? It has 9 fugi guides, cork and graphite handle etc...Anything worth salvaging?

Saqa?

Condolences Kbark-

I know that sinking feeling and the horrible sound of a rod going from one piece to two. I managed to break a new Loomis Bronzeback before I had it within 30km of the water. (how to turn a $460 rod into a $590 rod courtesy of Loomis $130 replacement policy).

Where is yours broken ? It might make a good live bait catching rod?

John

Guest Saqa

I had a brand new 7ft 1pc pflueger 2-5kg sp rod. Loved it. A mate bent it the wrong way and it's now a 2pc.... :(

Was wondering what to do with it? It has 9 fugi guides, cork and graphite handle etc...Anything worth salvaging?

Saqa?

Ouch...where is the break. I will need to eyeball it but most clean breaks are fixable. I will be fishing at brighton le sands on sat morning. Birng it over and I will have a look.

I heard the crack and knew what happened. he wasn't familiar with the differences between graphite and glass. bent it the wrong way by grabbing the tip and bending it back on itself to test the flex. an expensive lesson. turns out he just paid for new one... :thumbup:

the rod snapped 2 feet from the top...there's no flex left in the main section.

thanks for the offer saqa but I can't make the morning tomorrow.

Guest Saqa

I heard the crack and knew what happened. he wasn't familiar with the differences between graphite and glass. bent it the wrong way by grabbing the tip and bending it back on itself to test the flex. an expensive lesson. turns out he just paid for new one... :thumbup:

the rod snapped 2 feet from the top...there's no flex left in the main section.

thanks for the offer saqa but I can't make the morning tomorrow.

2 feet from top, if it is a clean break then sounds fixable with out lossing much in the way of asthetics or performance. Drop it of at alexandria where I have a day job or at my workshop in canterbury sometime in the weekend. Give me a call to make arrangements. Repairs like that are normally about $30-$50. Have to see it to be exact

Condolances Kbark,

I have had my rod broken too - also a Pflueger SP rod but a 3-5KG one I use for casting bigger SPs and hardbodies for bigger flatties...and it was also broken by a mate!

Wasn't broken as low down as yours so it got me thinking that he had 'improved' the blank in a way. Put a tip on and found out I was right! :biggrin2:

Now leader knots don't jam in the larger tip and it flings big SPs further than it ever did before (was a bit flexy before)! My mate still doesn't believe me so I think I might as well accept his offer of :beersmile: and then take him fishing to really show him.

Yeh!

Saqa - just out of interest how do you repair broken rods? I heard once that some custom rod builders used to put a piece of fibreglass up the middle...but knowing you that's not what you would do.

Mike

ps. Sorry if I've told this story a number of times already...I have that habit and I'm not even 25 yet...can you imagine what I'll be like at 99? :wacko:

Guest Saqa

Saqa - just out of interest how do you repair broken rods? I heard once that some custom rod builders used to put a piece of fibreglass up the middle...but knowing you that's not what you would do.

If I told you then I will have to kill you :1prop: . I use different techniques depending on the damage

Grahite or Fibre glass in the middle or a sleeve over the top

I have a good collection of graphite offcuts in various tapers and modulus. I am pretty confident I can get the rod feeling like original. Another option is to turn it into a quiver tip for a really expensive rod for whiting

thanks guys, it's good to have sympathetic ears to share the pain.

yes mike...I think I've read that story before. but it's a good one.

saqa...I'll hang onto it and probably get you to fix it sometime in the future. saving up for that 10foot 3-6kg baitcaster first!

cheers.

Bit like the karma sutra?

Good to see the rod breaking crowd come out?

Confession .... very catholic....

Inshala/

Nah it's probably more rod breakers anonymous than confession...cos I'm STILL NOT SORRY :biggrin2:

Would I be unpopular with you if I told you Saqa 'curry butted' my new baitcast rod? :1prop:

Oh yeah, nibble tips...good idea Saqa. I'll keep that in mind next time my mate comes fishing with me :P

Don't worry he won't be using the spiral wrap baitcaster...

Edited by Little_Flatty

Guest madsmc

Condolences to you kbark. I haven't had the misfortune of breaking a rod yet (touch wood), but I can imagine what it would feel like.

However, if I broke a $400 plus rod like Blood Knot did, I would either have to be very quiet about it around the :wife:, or leave the country. :1yikes::074:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Condolences to you kbark. I haven't had the misfortune of breaking a rod yet (touch wood), but I can imagine what it would feel like.

However, if I broke a $400 plus rod like Blood Knot did, I would either have to be very quiet about it around the :wife:, or leave the country. :1yikes::074:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Shane - Remembering that day, still has the power to bring a tear to the eye.

John