Newbie To Botany Bay

abitfishy

Hey all,

I'm sick of catching medium Bream in the wonnie river so want to try something new.

A few questions re Botany Bay if you don't mind, I'm thinking of fishing the run in on Monday arvo.

1. Can anyone give me some idea of water depth in Botany Bay, I wanna make sure we have enough anchor rope since we've only used it in the river. We are thinking Molineaux Point since its often mentioned here. Is that the spot along the rock wall thats so popular with land based fishies that you access along that long road?

2. I assume on a nice day the conditions out there are ok for a couple of relatively inexperienced (read: chicken shit) boaties with a 15ft runabout & 40hp (um, about 4hrs total boating for me)? Anything we should know before we go??

3. I don't have much in the way of heavier rods - the heaviest duty I have is a 6-8kg snapper outfit - I assume that will do unless jaws is around? (knowing my luck we're more likely to catch Nemo actually)

4. Anyone use mullet strips/chunks out there? Its my favoured bait and works well with the bream, but wondering if what we might get out there will be as keen on it??? Any of the usual berley do ie bread/chook pellets/dog food/tuna oil/combination of.....

Thanks in advance.

Martin

mate you sound like you're doing everything right, if you're using a sand anchor, make sure you anchor at least 20m away from the wall itself or else kiss your anchor good bye! And make sure you have a couple of meters of chain on your anchor or it wont hold in the sand if the tide is running hard (and that's what you want), mullet strips should work a treat, try and get some slimey's or some yakka and strip them, bread and chook pellets as berly and you shoudl land a few trevs with teh odd bream thrown in!

IF YOU FISH AROUND 12.00MIDDAY TILL 5PM ON MONDAY WITH A HIGH TIDE AT 1647 AND SWSE WIND10- 20 KNOTS I WOULD RECOMEND THE END OF THE OIL WHARF ON THE EASTERN SIDE .BE SURE TO BE 100M AWAY AND BURLEY BELOW AND ON TOP .

YOU SHOULD GET SOME GOOD BREAM AND I LOT OF TAYLOR AND TEREVORS.

USE PILLES AND PRAWN FOR BEST BAIT AND BURLEY BELOW WITH ANYTHING OILY AND FISHY AND ON TOP WITH BREAD AND TUNA OIL.

GOOD LUCK . :1fishing1:

IF YOU FISH AROUND 12.00MIDDAY TILL 5PM ON MONDAY WITH A HIGH TIDE AT 1647 AND SWSE WIND10- 20 KNOTS I WOULD RECOMEND THE END OF THE OIL WHARF ON THE EASTERN SIDE .BE SURE TO BE 100M AWAY AND BURLEY BELOW AND ON TOP .

YOU SHOULD GET SOME GOOD BREAM AND I LOT OF TAYLOR AND TEREVORS.

USE PILLES AND PRAWN FOR BEST BAIT AND BURLEY BELOW WITH ANYTHING OILY AND FISHY AND ON TOP WITH BREAD AND TUNA OIL.

GOOD LUCK . :1fishing1:

Thanks mate,

Do you mean near Brotherson Dock Bulk Liquids Berth?

How is it for container ship type activity around there?

I've heard the weather may not be fantastic Monday, so will see what happens.

Edited by abitfishy

Thanks mate,

Do you mean near Brotherson Dock Bulk Liquids Berth?

How is it for container ship type activity around there?

I've heard the weather may not be fantastic Monday, so will see what happens.

Theres only one oil wharf botany bay, kurnell side as for the name never read up on it .

Ships never in your line if you stay 100m away in a E-NE direction.ONLY A LOT OF OTHER FISHOS.

Theres only one oil wharf botany bay, kurnell side as for the name never read up on it .

Ships never in your line if you stay 100m away in a E-NE direction.ONLY A LOT OF OTHER FISHOS.

Ta,

Just checked the map and think I see where you mean. Looks like a good spot.

Martin

monday weather is lookin to be the only good day of the coming week

get out monday!!!

CLICK HERE for weather

CFD

Hey,

I usually look at the BOM for the weather, and find it hard to figure out - mate, that web site is fantastic - temp, wind speed, direction, rain, swell, for each 3 hours - fan-bloody-tastic.

But don't tell the world about Monday, I want some room to move.....hopefully most people will be working, while I'm catching all the fish.

My main concern is how my 15fter without a very deep V will handle any swell or wash from bigger boats....

no probs mate...

deep V ehh?

should get along quite nicely but if hit side on by some wash will rock around a bit,

dont worry dude,

nothing in BB will flip ya (except for those damn pilot boats and tugs on the plane :ranting2: )

CFD

Yes mate, she's not a bad little fishing boat for the river and bays, but wash side on is a bit uncomfortable at times. Especially with some of the inconsiderate arseholes around.

By the way, what water depth can I expect in Botany Bay - either where was mentioned or at Molineux Point? Dunno if I'll have enough anchor rope. :thumbdown:

Edited by abitfishy

Yes mate, she's not a bad little fishing boat for the river and bays, but wash side on is a bit uncomfortable at times. Especially with some of the inconsiderate arseholes around.

By the way, what water depth can I expect in Botany Bay - either where was mentioned or at Molineux Point? Dunno if I'll have enough anchor rope. :thumbdown:

12 -16m depth .Can someone tell me why BOM weather and BUOY weather are never the same, are there two Sydney Australia in this world? :mad3::mad3::mad3:

Well, after tossing up whether to go out to Botany Bay or not, I took her down to the ramp at Sylvania and it was as windy as hell and the water looked it. Since I considered Botany Bay was going to be 5-10 times worse we decided not to do it in a 15ft open boat with no windscreen, so decided to head down the more protected wonnie river for a bit of a cruise.

Even with the protection there the wind made it uncomfortable, so we headed upstream as I haven't been up that way before, only to suddenly run out of water very quickly just past the footbridge - the boat knew what was happening as it stated to argue against the sand and weed, I shat myself and got her in reverse real quick before we were well and truly grounded and got out of there backwards quicksmart. What pisses me off is that it looses water real quick with no indication from any markers or signs.

Bit of a worry was the motor seemed to keep loosing revs once we had got into deeper water - at one stage I thought we we were going to loose it and have a very long way to paddle back to the ramp against the tide.

Luckily she recovered, and went ok after a few minutes, so wondering what happened.......any ideas why she would run so bad? All I'm thinking is maybe a bit of sand, weed etc in/around the prop might have been causing the problem. Nothing looks bent or anything else, so I'm a bit confused????

what time did you decide to head down to the ramp?

was a beautiful morning until about 10am

CFD

Yes mate, it was, but not long after that it got bit windy - we got there just after 12.

The wind wasn't great at home in Sutherland, but you never know til you get to to ramp - since the bait and rods were ready, boat fuel was full, ready to go, I thought it worth checking anyway. Miserable.

Looks like it might be a while before conditions are warm and calm again....