Sunday Botany Bay

Sharky

Hey all

Hit the bay with Outnumbered and Breamreaper on Sunday for a troll and a soft plastic sesh.

After sleeping through 2 alarms Brian woke me up with a call to my mobile after waiting 15min without me showing up (Sorry bout that mate).

Anyway after running around the house like a headless chook John and I headed over to meet Brian.

Nothing says sorry like beer :beersmile: So with a packed esky and plenty of BBQ shapes we launched the boat and decided to check out a few holes near the Marina and Breamreaper lived up to his name a pulled a nice bream to start the day off. A few quick pics and he went back in the drink to fight another day.

We headed to the heads for a troll and set the spread and after about 10 mins john gets a hookup on a decent bonnie on a nilsmaster invincible. 10 minutes later he hooks another one :ranting2: Thats 3 nil

So he gave me his lucky lure to use well it didnt work for me :thumbdown:

We headed back inside and trolled molinex point for zip so we headed to the third runway a anchored up.

Brian chopped up a storm in the burley pot and soon another fish was boated...........another bream by John. I put on my favourite 2 hook plastic jig with bass minows and landed the first record fish for the day.

A bass minow caught grinner going about 12 cm :yahoo: after a few pics the beast was returned to the water.

The bite started to hot up and John and Brian pulled 2 decent trevs so I switched to 6 lb trace and a gulp minow and thats when the fun started.(For me anyway) We were catching plenty of trevs and there was lots of hoots and screams and :beersmile: so naturally we carried on a bit. The hot bight continued so for some refreshment John and I had some fresh Bonnie Sashimi, man I loved it so fresh and delishes.

After about 3 hours John gets a big take on his smallest outfit and the line staryts screaming. We are going crazy calling it for all sorts of thing Big Jew, PJ, Cobia??? John was taking it as easy as he could because he was using 4 lb braid and 8 lb leader. He kept his composure and when a yellow tailfin broke the surface he called it for a king. After about 25 mins I netted the king that was decent. between 65-70 cm the measure board only goes to 60cm. What a fish and what a fight. (I still cant believe the fish didnt brick him)

About 10 trevs later Brian pulls fishraider record number 2 for the day. A Star fish :biggrin2: he was a beauty. And a while later Brian pulls another record. A flying gurnard that was amazing and a very pretty fish I will add.

After that the bite slowed and we headed over to the bridges to see if there was any bait around but it was again a desert. :05: No jews but we had plenty for a feed so we called it a day. Once again a great day on the water and a big thanks to Brian for the invite and thanks to Breamreaper (John) for the tackle it was great catching up.

Pics to come very shortly.

it was a great day out mate and having you two clowns on the boat certainly provided a lot of laughs.

here's a few pics of the day.

post-470-1148271566_thumb.jpg

first fish of the day after 5 minutes on the water

post-470-1148271632_thumb.jpg

one of the nice bonnies that the other 2 guy's tried to eat before i could use it for bait

post-470-1148271762_thumb.jpg

marks potential record? grinner

post-470-1148271864_thumb.jpg

what a fight this king gave john on his bream gear

post-470-1148271964_thumb.jpg

can i claim this in the bait catch records???

post-470-1148272079_thumb.jpg

believe it or not but this was caught on a 3inch minnow on a fast retrieve

Wohoooooooooo nice effort there boys and a couple of weird fish on placcys ,well done to all of you :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

sorry to say, but that 4lb king outfit with 8lb leader looks a WE WAY bit to big. maybe you guys need to use outfits for what your fishing for then you dont have to keep posting "Lost big fish, got busted off WHAT WAS IT?". i'm not flamebaiting but it's kind of annoying seeing it every post, then you think gee must be some big fish around , but then you post 4lb braid with 8lblleader pfft., i've been busted off on 60lb trying to lift a pike eel in the boat.

Hi Craig ,if I wanted to stop every fish I hook I WOULD USE A 37KG STAND UP STICK AND BE DONE WITH IT .Part of the attraction of using the lighter stuff is having a good time and sometimes giving the fish a fighting chance and its a buggger trying to cast light weights on heavy tackle :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

And btw there are big fish about and even heavier tackle wont stop them at times

sorry to say, but that 4lb king outfit with 8lb leader looks a WE WAY bit to big. maybe you guys need to use outfits for what your fishing for then you dont have to keep posting "Lost big fish, got busted off WHAT WAS IT?". i'm not flamebaiting but it's kind of annoying seeing it every post, then you think gee must be some big fish around , but then you post 4lb braid with 8lblleader pfft., i've been busted off on 60lb trying to lift a pike eel in the boat.

hmmmm interesting point you make

we were catching trev's and bream on 3inch plastics all day on light gear. when we were out trolling we were using our heavey gear and our baits on the bottom along with our live baits were all on heavier gear.

maybe we should teach the fish to read and hang signs off our lines telling the bigger fish to stay away from the ones meant for other species. or should we only use the heavey gear just in case there's a big one out there.

oh and btw he landed the king on 4lb braid and 8lb leader (that he was catching trev's and bream on) pfft, i'm not flamebaiting but it's kind of annoying when people post a winge about something that wasnt even in a report.

Edited by Outnumbered

Dammmit it ,I tried not to take the bait and Craig got a double hookup :mad3:

:074::074::074:

Cheers Stewy

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ He's on

:074: me too but wtf i saw the gear he was using was a bit light so i thought i would bust him off :074:

:Funny-Post: you are a bad man Brian

well craig what can I say. Posts like yours is why I dont like to post reports.the way I read it the target was trevs and bream so I would have to say the gear they were using was spot on he just happened to hook a kingy and was good enough fisherman to land it.

hmmmm interesting point you make

we were catching trev's and bream on 3inch plastics all day on light gear. when we were out trolling we were using our heavey gear and our baits on the bottom along with our live baits were all on heavier gear.

maybe we should teach the fish to read and hang signs off our lines telling the bigger fish to stay away from the ones meant for other species. or should we only use the heavey gear just in case there's a big one out there.

oh and btw he landed the king on 4lb braid and 8lb leader (that he was catching trev's and bream on) pfft, i'm not flamebaiting but it's kind of annoying when people post a winge about something that wasnt even in a report.

:Funny-Post::risata::risata::risata:

How does the saying go? A closed mouth gathers no foot :biggrin2:

Guest Sea Tow Botany

Sharky,Outnumbered,Breamreaper

Nice to meet you on Sunday, Great fish guys and another great day on the bay

My brother inlaw uses 50 pound line and a 1 pound sinker when he fishes offshore bottom bashing

My brother inlaw uses 50 pound line and a 1 pound sinker when he fishes Georges River bottom bashing

He couldn't be bothered rigging another rod :074::074:

So.. Did you get that starfish on your Bream gear? You should be using heavier gear! I've seen those things when I've been diving, they can really get a move on. Bet it gave you some curry! :1prop::1prop:

he he he!

Seriously that is huge - biggest I've ever seen

:beersmile: Stallo

What a great report. Some great fish to match as well!!! :1yikes: That starfish is HUUUGE!

Flattieman.

Incidently, many years ago (over 20) I read an old angling book, it mentioned that starfish

were great snapper bait, further I also know that a lot of pro fishermen up north place jellyfish

in traps when bait is scarce, and they too get the snapper in.

Does any one have any further info on this,

PS, guys you sure put in a good effort to have an entertaining day.

post-470-1148271762_thumb.jpg

marks potential record? grinner

What is this "Grinner"? I caught 2 of these about 2 years back in the Shoalhaven River near Greenwell Point. They were both about 20cms. I am pretty sure it is the same fish, huge mouth and chopper-like teeth?I kept one in the freezer for about 6 mths asking everyone I know what it was. I was just about ready to think I had found a new species :wacko: I had shown people who had been fishing in the are for years and had them stumped. Are they common?

Hope somebody can help

looks like the grinner isnt a grinner after all. i went looking for more info to answer stallo's question and came across this.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/tmyops.htm

it's actually a painted lizard fish which they say is sometimes mistaken for a grinner.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...h/sgracilis.htm

Thanks Brian. Mine were definately the painted lizard fish.

WELL DONE LADS

another great day out on the bay,

gotta love its consistancy,

great fish great company plenty of laughs wat more could we ask for,

quick Q'n what was the kingy caught on??

cheers steve... :1prop:

It was a 3 inch gulp minnow in a siver colour Im not sure the exact name but it accounted for plent of trevs as well. I was using a brown gulp minnow that caught plenty of trevs as well. Brian was using a bass minnow

That caught trevs flying gernard and bream? I cant remeber too many :beersmile: