I Wanna Catch A Jew (fish That Is)

VoodooChile78

I am a regular bread and butter whiting and bream fisherman who wants to step up to a bit of a challenge chasing Jew (mulloway). I believe in the surf at night is the best with fresh bait. I have an Alvey Rod (3.2m) and a Alvey star drag 6in reel with 15lb line...am I on the right track? I am thinking of using West Aust Pilchards on ganged hooks.

Any tips (preferrably tried and tested) would be a huge help...not to mention any spots around South Eastern Qld that are known haunts of these elusive beasts!

A nice 4-5kg specimen would sure bring a smile to my face...but the bigger the better hey!

cheers and tight lines!

Mike L. :1fishing1:

I am a regular bread and butter whiting and bream fisherman who wants to step up to a bit of a challenge chasing Jew (mulloway). I believe in the surf at night is the best with fresh bait. I have an Alvey Rod (3.2m) and a Alvey star drag 6in reel with 15lb line...am I on the right track? I am thinking of using West Aust Pilchards on ganged hooks.

Any tips (preferrably tried and tested) would be a huge help...not to mention any spots around South Eastern Qld that are known haunts of these elusive beasts!

A nice 4-5kg specimen would sure bring a smile to my face...but the bigger the better hey!

cheers and tight lines!

Mike L. :1fishing1:

big fat king beach worms are popular bait on NSw north coast - I'd try to get a hold of some of those if i were you. assuming you are fishing bribie, moreton, straddie islands... 2hrs around the high is productive for me. fish your bait on the edge of broken water and not in the middle of the gutters.

fresh squid is popular in sydney as a bait but may be hard for you to source. pillies catch fish from time to time but there are better baits. maybe a fresh tailor slab but expect a few sharks on flesh baits.

i prefer a slightly heavier outfit - 12ft rod 6.5in alvey and 20lb mono.

jewie season should be just starting up in qld