Fishing Deep Channels From Land

hello:

I had a chance to fish the inlet area at the maroochy river during my trip to Brisbane last year where it exits to the open ocean. My question is how does one fish area of deep channel of fast flowing water with a lure and or bait in general. I've seen fisherman with long poles waiting for the tailor run and I neglected to ask what technique they were using but I got a sense they were using bait. I saw flash of fish so I know they all couldn't be at the bottom of the channel which is very deep. Would it be tricky fishing with a lure and what type would you use.

I tried fly fishing it with a 300 grain fast sinking line with quarter cast up fishing down and I could see the whole rig sinking down very deep but didn't have enough time to give it a good try. I also tried casting a large 2/0 deceiver at the end of an intermediate line quarter cast downstream, and the line eventually came back and the leader was all shredded up minus the fly (fluro carbon leader).

I am trying to gain some insight how place like this is fished with other methods or with a fly as I may have change to fish the salt this year. If I had another crack at it I would try to dredge the bottom with the fast sinking line and try long lining downstream with the intermediate and hope for a strike at the end of the drift.

I would appreciate any inputs how you would tackly this type of water from land. I could distinguish two areas: area of drop-off and the bottom. What type of fish would be found; GT, Bream, etc?

thanks,

Ted