Salt And Freshwater Fly Tying!

Hi Guys,

Fly Fishing is certainly another form of catching fish and I have at times outfished people using lures with a fly.

As I am a keen fly tier, I am just wondering who else is?

Maybe we could conduct a mini Fishraider fly swap?

Thoughts?

PS: I will post some of my flies on here shortly.

Although I've only just got my flyrod, I enjoy tying my own flies. Mainly clousers and crazy charlies as all I've got is bucktail ATM

When I was a kid, I used to tye trout flies with my uncle in the UK. Now, may years later, I'm a novice salt water fly fisherman. Go figure... I suppose it's in the blood. :D

I'm joining a fly fishing club here in Sydney and I've signed up for a casting course from a bloke from Tassie who comes highly recommended. Maybe next season I'll catch my first fish on fly...

Guest bluecod

Maybe next season I'll catch my first fish on fly...

Why wait that long - bream, flathead, mullet, trevally, salmon - all winter options in Sydney.

Marlinmadness - I'm in depending on the timing

Edited by bluecod

hi:

I am new to saltwater fly fishing as I mainly fly fish for trout but I would like to get into tying and fishing

saltwater flies. I don't get to to ocean very much so I pretty much have to fish depending on circumstances

from the shore but at least I am finding saltwater fly fishing has lot of similarities.

If I find and tie patterns that could be useful for the fish I saw in Brisbane I'll post them. I am thinking of good shrimp patterns for fish like whiting and bream; sliders and poppers for night fishing, and floating flies to replicate the action of hardbody plugs.

For trout fishing I mainly fish one nymph (different sizes) and concentrate on the presentation and detecting the take. I read books on fly fishing the salt shoreline and what I can gather is the fishing problems for trout fishing and saltwater fishing from shore is similar.

I'll be curious to see what patterns people use on the board and how they are fished.

Ted

Hi Guys,

Cool!

I have to take some photos of my flies yet but I learnt most of my fly tying from Peter Haynes in Cairns - top fly guide and fly tier guru. He has taught me heaps on how to use materials for certain flies and how to use the fly tying materials to its upmost ability.

I would love to hook up with some fellow fly fishos and go chase some fish on fly as I have unfortunately not been utilising this form of fishing at late.

I will get some photos up aswell as my best capture has been a black marlin on fly.

Shrimp patterns are used for such a vast variety of species obviously depending on what size shrimp patterns you are fly fishing with, but definately a awesome pattern, especially with glass rattles tied to the shank of the hook.

Good to see some fellow 'feather chuckers' here.

Tight Tippets.

Hi Guys,

Cool!

I have to take some photos of my flies yet but I learnt most of my fly tying from Peter Haynes in Cairns - top fly guide and fly tier guru. He has taught me heaps on how to use materials for certain flies and how to use the fly tying materials to its upmost ability.

I would love to hook up with some fellow fly fishos and go chase some fish on fly as I have unfortunately not been utilising this form of fishing at late.

I will get some photos up aswell as my best capture has been a black marlin on fly.

Shrimp patterns are used for such a vast variety of species obviously depending on what size shrimp patterns you are fly fishing with, but definately a awesome pattern, especially with glass rattles tied to the shank of the hook.

Good to see some fellow 'feather chuckers' here.

Tight Tippets.

My best capture in salt have been whiting from shore and either Travelly or Tailor hooked but lost at night I was beginning to figure them out but I ran out of time and flies. Most fun was night fly fishing and most challenging was fly fishing the heavy surf. The marlin must have been lot of fun on a fly rod.

I looked up shrimp patterns with the rattler and checked some fly fishing catalogs and books as well and there are lot of shrimp patterns (and for different fish too) as you noted. For the rattler shrimp I imagine one has to move it quickly to give it some action to make it look alive and make it rattle at the right time. I just read an article written by Peter Haynes and what he says makes sense and his flies look simple but effective.

I need to do a research on the various materials and saltwater flies look like lot of fun to tie. My nymph is very simple to tie and not much to look but it seems to work. I'll tie some saltwater flies and try to force feed them to catfish and bass in an urban lake. The big problem is the best area are in the middle and I need long casts to get to them but I am slowly lengthening my casts.

Ted

Hi Lads,

Here are some more flies that I have tied.

First fly is the Gold Bomber, the amount of versions of Gold Bomber styles that are out there are just incredible, but at the end of the day it comes down to using gold and black materials. This fly you can see below has a glass rattle contained which is great as ideally the gold bomber is fished in dirty water in the saltwater streams or in dams or freshtwater rivers where the water clarity is a little brown / tannish or even red. With the rattle, this assists a barra (as this is what the gold bomber was designed for) detecting movement and should increase a hit.

post-1377-1148777663_thumb.jpg

The second fly is a normal baitfish profile that is perfect for fishing in clean water. This particular colour is ideal for barras but Salmon, Flathead, Trevally, Mackerel, Mangrove Jacks, Queenfish, ThreadFin Salmon are all species I have picked up on this particular fly. Again for Barras I like to place a glass rattle in there as I believe, can increase your strike rate and your catch rate, depending on how well u can fly fish.

post-1377-1148777702_thumb.jpg

Next patterns I will be showing will be more of the shrimp patterns etc which are great winter flies to be using for bream and even whiting, and I will also show some Clousers aswell and throw in some crazy Charlies.

If anyone has a specific fly they would like tied, let me know as I can tie it and take a piccy and show on this website.

PM if you have a specific request.

Cheers!!

hello:

I've always wondered about the gold bomber and with your explanation the fly makes sense with its color and the rattler (which I didn't know about). I am reading a book on Clouser flies written by Bob Clouser himself and he talks about his rattle clouser. He states that rattle in a clouser catches more fish is in deep clear water and works best with short strips. It would be nice to try some flies with rattles at night!

How do you fish the normal bait fish in a clear water. Some of the water I've seen near Brisbane were very clear and I could tell the fish could see me from a long distance (at least whiting) from their behavior. I imagine proper drift and line management must be important and is tricky (and also the line selection). For my trout fishing in small creeks the line management is fast becoming the most important parameter as the water level drops and they become very wary and I am being forced to make longer and longer casts in the brush.

Fishing the shrimp imitation must be similar to fishing the nymph in fresh water because both of them cannot swim too well. I suspect the Whiting takes flies delicately but I am not sure about the Bream or other species when it comes to the shrimp. I will be curious to see how the flies look and how they are fished; there must be many ways to fish them because there doesn't seem to be limit to the ways a nymph can be fished.

Ted

If anyone has a specific fly they would like tied, let me know as I can tie it and take a piccy and show on this website.

PM if you have a specific request.

Cheers!!

Hi MM,

Any chance of seeing a Deciever? :)

I've been tying a heap of Clousers in pink, olive and chartreuse. I've started tying Crazy (Nasty) Charlies. I'll post a few pics of them for comparison.

I'm also looking for a squid fly.

Thanks dude!

Richie.

Sorry Richie for the delayed response mate.

A Deceiver pattern is not a problem and I will be sure to provide some flies of this design, however, I prefer to use more up to date products which will make the fly look different compared to your standard bucktail 'Leftys Deceiver'.

With the squid fly, that is not a problem, I will be sure to tie one of these up and show you all.

Cheers

• 2 months later...