Practice

G'day all (first post on this sight)

I have recently taken up Fly fishing as another way to feed my new fishing addiction. When I say I have taken it up I really meand I have bought some gear and been practicing my casting. I now want to take this to the water for some fishing practice as well as casting practice from my boat.

I was thinking of chasing some flatties across the flat on either the Gearges or the Woronora. My ultimate goal is to catch a trout on a fly. But I thought a flattie might be a good start.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brett0

Thanks Guys

Stewy

I only have some realy tiny flies that my wife got when she got me the rod and reel for fathers day. My casting is going OK , I have been practicing in the yard and at a local lake. As I said I only have very small fly's so I have been rigging small curltail grubs onto normal (Bream?? size 1 I think) hooks, They are very similar to the "Dogtooth Jelly Belly" Flies I have seen in books.

I thought these would do for some practice and thought I may be able to catch a flattie on one of these. Let us know what you think.

By the way i think I meet you at the last AusBream social on the hacking. I had the small Quinny Dart next to your Poly, If that was you.

Cheers Thanks for the reply.

brett0

What size is gear you have and what type of fly line.

There are may different types of gear and the type you need depends on what you want to fish for.

You talked flathead. The best palces to try and catch them on fly is areas of shallow sand bars if there are patches of weed that is even better. I have caught plenty around Main Bar in Port Hacking.

The gear I use is a 6Wt rod with 7Wt intermediate line. Tied to this I use about 1.5 meters of 10lb mono attached to the fly line with a double uni knot and the fly tied straight to this leader. Flies vary but the colours I find best are fluro green, Orange or red.

Casting big flies takes some practice get some and have a go you will see what I mean. The best casting advice I can give you keep the rod up between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock dont let it get past these points until you want to shoot that final cast.

Good Luck.

This is a big subject and any of you flyfishers out there may put your best foot forward now :biggrin2:

Looks like we have a fair few flyfishers here and in the near future we may have a FLYFISHING SOCIAL DAY for beginners and pros alike .The last one went very well and was a big hit with everyone ,more on that later in the year

Cheers Stewy

You are welcome Brett and next time we are around the same venue make sure you come over and say HI

Cheers Swordfisherman

I'll be in that!

Richie.

Guest madsmc

i went to the previous one @ narralakes and that was an EXCELLENT venue if a swoffing social day is in order. however much better in the summer months IMO

CFD

Yes, the summer months is definately the go. Maybe this time around we'll jag a day when it isn't bucketing rain and overcast. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1: