Latest Creations

Brett W

White seabass - closet to a jewie i could find

Mark - Cost is very variable, u can buy low cost components and make up a resonable rod. The most important factor is u can make exactly what u want, eg those 2 rods are both painted, the original colours were way too boring. On another note i find the local stuff can be a little pricey and the range is very ordinary - in fact most tackle stores seem really loathed to even bother with rod building components or they are shoved in a corner somewhere. Don't sell them, just a hobby.

Jethro - LS supreme - Thin, I have heard their high build is fantastic so i might grab some of that for next time.

Jethro - I have been using a plastikote or dupli-colour, u have to shop around, both work really well.

Scuff the blank lightly with a fine grade scotch pad, wipe it then spray on my rod roller. 3 coats usually.

Now to polish get some 2000 grade wet 'n dry, soak it in some warm soapy water for 15 mins or so. then lightly sand the blank - MAKE SURE U KEEP THE WET 'N DRY WET - i'll stop yelling now :ohyeh: . It doesnt' take long.

I leave for a few days then cover with clear.

Going to try a rod in that pearl colour/effect next with some holographic guides like these:

post-14-1097647073_thumb.jpg

No need to hassle with O/S orders and the myriad of problems that entails you can order the full HASTINGS range including there G-USA blanks through me. I can get it for you as a blank but Ive been building a heap up for members here and I had a few at the last social infact. I can get Hastings customised colours to if you are prepared to wait a bit.

Ive even got the funky coloured guides in gold, electro blue and holo

On LS supreme, nothing levels like LS but it is an agressive epoxy and Im surprised it didnt cause damage to your paint work.

Ive tried a few different colouring emthods and automotive two pak is pretty good. Target also says Tamiya model paint is excellent as well with good strength and flexibility.

post-14-1097747280_thumb.jpg

Edited by allen glover

I used tamia paint on one of my rods, turned a typical Snyder unsanded blank into a nice colour - I tested it on a spare blank offcut and thought it was a bit soft, so decided to overcoat it with a layer of epoxy, which I added a metalic green model paint. I ended up with the pearl finish that you were after.

BTW, after about 3 days, the tamia paint goes off really well and doesnt need a top coat. Tamia "for polycarbonate" is the paint to use - flexible and sets hard and resists cracking and scraping.

I'll bring it along to the next rod builders club meeting. Which by the way is next week.

I think I'll have to put "latest creations #3" up soon, the new 9# fly is just turning on the lathe right now. :D

Adrian

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now that's good to know Allen, new u were the Aust rep now for Hastings kit, knowing components as above are available locally is great. Been fiddling with line paths etc and it alway seems to be the way that u are a guide out or want to try another size B4 u start binding.

Have u used the high build form of LS?

No issues to date with LS covering paint, though these rods had a clear cover, I have also used it to cover marbelized sections - Testors model paint, so far so good.

Here's a pici of the marbelized rod thats nearly finished - this covers the 1st 100mm of the butt. Photo is not great, bit hard to see the detail if i shoot from too far away - looks like a blurred mess.

1 more coat of epoxy and its done.

post-14-1097753794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brett W

Brett

That marbelising looks awsome :D . Seen it a few times before in pics, and was half tempted to do it on my recent fly rod, but shyed away as I did not want to stuff it up. :(

Are you Sydney based? If so, are you interested in coming along to the next rod builders club meet and giving us run down on the marbelising?

Adrian

G'Day Adrian - Marblelizing looks great on the right rod, its pretty easy, i have practiced on the butt section of a rod B4 making it up for mates, they take a look at the colours etc B4 we get serious. Epoxy is easy to remove, and done where the handle/grips cover there's no dramas.

Live in the "Hills" area of Sydney.

Love that marble effect! Looks freaky. :thumbsup:

I used to build my own rods many years ago. No lathe or any of that jazz! All done by hand. Maybe I should try my hand at one or two now. :confusuion:

Brett

If your the "Hills" area, your probably next door to me :) I'm in Castle Hill, feel welcome to come along to the next rod builders meet, we dont get too serious, but throw lots of ideas around, have covered weaving before as one of the members did some awesome weaves on a few beach rods, and it would be great to see the marbelising first had, only seen photos so far.

Cheers

Adrian

I am really keen after a bit of a lull, lots to experiment with, below is an attempt at an inlay a mate is looking for, this is still beta , actually maybe even alpha and i will be certainly be improving after much thought and pain - got any suggestions? Have u done this kind of thing B4?

Joe - go for it!

post-14-1097835684_thumb.jpg