Making Basic Flys

Farma

Hi Peoples I am new here and was wondering how to whip up some basic trout flys.

What will I need and roughly how much to obtain the equipment and materials. what size hooks ect.

Thanks

Farma.

P.S.

what a top site u all have made here.

Farma,

there are a few tools that you will need, you can buy a very basic tying kit from most fishing shops, try the guys at The Bass Angler, I was there the other day and they had a fair bit of stuff to choose from.

You will need the following, a vice a bobbin for thread control, a range of threads in different colours, hooks to suit the flies you are tying. Most flies are tied on 12s- 18s either dry or wet. The thickness of the wire will determine if they float or sink.Head cement a bodkin and small scissors will get you started.

You will need some basic hairs and feathers, deer hair,elk hair,dubbing selections or you can buy individual packs to start with, saddle hackles for dry flies hen hackles for wet flies,marabou also comes in handy, the sky is the limit.

Find the patterns that you want to tie and then just buy the materials as you need them they dont go off and you can keep adding to them.

Now you will need patterns there are some great videos or DVDs around as there a some great books on the subject check them out as there a couple of really good Australian books with step by step diagrams.

Fly tying is the ultimate accessory hobby as there are heaps of little tools all have their own job and all will help you tie some great flies, hair stackers,hackle guards,curved scissors and a whole lot more.

My suggestion is to buy a basic kit and see how you go and buy things when you can afford them and as the need arises.

My fly tying box started as a shoe box then a tool box now I have four large tubs and its still breeding. :tease:

Enjoy and if you have a problem just post it here and someone will help you

Big Pete :1fishing1:

Thanks Big-Pete for the reply.

Wow it sounds really involved when you get into it.

I will check out the tackle shop and have a look see what they have.

It would be so much more rewarding to make your own flys then catch fish on them.

Thanks again

Farma

Farma,

its not really that involved it is really rewarding to catch a fish on a fly that you have tied yourself and it works out heaps cheaper than buying flies all the time, you can also make a range of sizes in case the fish are locked onto some thing a bit different.

It is a good way to spend a day that you can not get out and fish.

Big Pete :1fishing1:

Big-Pete

I read in a mag sometime ago that the trout were not taking flys as the guys had no patterns to mach the hatch so to speak.

So they checked out what the fish were eating and whiped out there fly tying gear and made a couple on the spot and then got a few fish. that would be handy.

Farma.

Farma:

Try to find what bugs/hatches are present in the water; look around, turn over rocks and use a sein net. You should get an idea what type of flies to use and lot of times simple impressionisitic flies work well if it is fished correctly.

I've caught trout with #22 nymphs at dusk without enough light to tie on the fly; and I doubt exact or any imitation is going to fool them if it doesn't swim right during the day. At certain point the leader and the drift become more important.

I would add to the tools list; a whip-finisher to tie off your flies and some lead wire to weigh nymph and streamers.

Ted

• 2 months later...
Guest bluecod

Philip,

You've asked one of those questions where you could get that many variations on the answer, particularly when throwing in words like everything you need. Don't forget a fly tyer is a tackle junkie and never will have everything he needs. :1prop:

Let's start with the very minimum of gear and look at some options from there.

Vise - cheapie $50, good one $400 to $1000 [secondhand is anyone's guess]

Bobbin [thread holder] $10

Bucktail $8 [white]

Crystal Flash $8

Thread $6

Small scissors $8 you probably have these already

Clear nail varnish $5

Hooks $10

Felt tip marker pens $10

There's heaps of other stuff that would come in handy, but not essential

That's all you need to get started [$115], but keep in mind the $50 vise will soon end up as your backup vise and as Big-Pete says the amount of materials will also quickly grow.

You can source a lot of materials from alternate locations;

Dacron - from pillows - to make bread and corn flys [use the yellow felt tip pen]

Feathers threads and beads - sewing supply shops or find someone who keeps large birds

Dubbing, wing or body material - domestic animal fur

Foam - packing boxes

Scour Epray - very occasionally someone will be selling their complete setup and it is possible to get some very good gear at a reasonable price, but be very careful of the rubbish being sold. I picked up my first vise [made in India] from there for about $40 and whilst it is not great quality, it did the job - its now relegated as a backup or field vise. be careful when buying soft materials on that site as you cannot judge the quantity on offer.

Anyone else got additional info for Philip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys I got some fly tying gear from a mate and had a go at tying a few Black Grizzly Woolly Buggers?

Still having probs with the Hackel? facing forward. But I am getting it sorted.

I called into ABA at Penrith and got some much needed advice and some more tying stuff.

Thanks Guys for the help.

Farma