Berowra Brawlers

kevvie

Hi Raiders... in my third installment of 'The Big Bream Of Berowra' i attempt to see if the first two sessions were sheer fluke or whether there is a pattern emerging. Just to recap.... i have been fishing unweighted crabs tight close to the rocky banks on a rising tide down there and finding that two packs of hooks is usually never enough spare tackle to bring along.

I took an old mate, also a budding fisho enthusiast, for a session of what i call bare knuckle close quarter combat. Initially i was going to take him to the bay for a lesson on sp's but the southerly blowing in at aroung 20knots at 6am was quite demoralising. We reconvened and decided that berowra was the better option due to the mountain cover it provides.

In my mind i was still going through with my sp tutorial until we got there and a little voice inside me kept saying.... unweighted crabs.....unweighted crabs. I have been successful b4 with this method and a rising tide was just the ticket. The only drama was finding a spot outta the wind.

With the spot located and bait depolyed the bream came on right on cue. The first few were modest specimens of around 33cms but a great start to the day. I kept reassuring my mate a biggy would rear its ugly blue-lipped head. Without further notice i loaded up my 1-2kg shimano stella rod sporting a spiffy 1000 stella reel as it screamed for dear mercy. I knew it was big. When netted my mate couldnt believe bream grew to this size. Admittedly it was only 1.3kgs but if you never seen one bigger than half kg the kg plus ones really are impressive. We got three monsters in all.

The bite was constant all day and apart from the wind it was an awesome session. The way we fish we detect bites by watching the belly of the line for twitches or a straightening of the slack as a bite indicator. Give the fish a little line to swallow the crab then strike. The bigger the crab the bigger the class of bream.

In the wash-up we caught 14 keeper bream threw back at least 20 or so undersize ones and dropped about the same as well. The day could of been mind blowing had we made the most of our opportunities...

B4 you stress boys i have pics of this expolit. I will download them tomoz when my mate emails me them. Like a dhead i broke my digi camera while in Darwin a few weeks ago. Spewin...

Tight lines...

Edited by kevvie

at low tide the crabs are everywhere... but they have restrictions. Only 20 crabs in possession at any one time. Trust me it's real good fun. I must admit though, without my electric motor you couldnt do it as well, the wind either blows you away from the shore or back on to it. My leccy is invalueble

there a few varietys. Ones that u said with the large claw. The brown shelled ones under the rocks, the green shelled orange claw ones that live in the mangroves in holes or the baby blue swimmers but these are rarer to find. Any about the shell size of a 5 or 10 cent piece will suffice.

there a few varietys. Ones that u said with the large claw. The brown shelled ones under the rocks, the green shelled orange claw ones that live in the mangroves in holes or the baby blue swimmers but these are rarer to find. Any about the shell size of a 5 or 10 cent piece will suffice.

so you can just dig around those mud flats and pick them up?

wats ur method of catching these critters? ive used some bait to lure them out before, but never thought about using them as bait. Now i know better

a crabbing we will go....

What a great result, Kevvie!!! :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

so you can just dig around those mud flats and pick them up?

wats ur method of catching these critters? ive used some bait to lure them out before, but never thought about using them as bait. Now i know better

a crabbing we will go....

G'day kantong,

Soldier crabs are also supposed to be great bream bait.

Flattieman.

What a great result, Kevvie!!! :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

G'day kantong,

Soldier crabs are also supposed to be great bream bait.

Flattieman.

Gday Flattieman

with these crabs, how do keep them on the hook alive? will they bite through the line?

Will you find soldier crabs in mud flats? I thought you only find them around sandy beach areas??

Gday Flattieman

with these crabs, how do keep them on the hook alive? will they bite through the line?

Will you find soldier crabs in mud flats? I thought you only find them around sandy beach areas??

You can hook them through the back. They don't bite through the line. You can only find the soldiers in sandy areas. Hope this helps,

Flattieman.