Estuary Perch

kevvie

Hi Raiders,

I popped down the hbury yesterday arvo for a quick session on the local EP's. I thought that this was the time of year for em but since my expertise is a little lacking on this enigmatic species i wasn't sure what to expect. As i arrived so too did a bloke from the fisheries named Chris Walsh, apparently doing a study on this species, and looking for some specimens to take away and analyse. Chris was a top bloke and i was only too happy help him aquire some if they were about which he told me they were.... you beauty.

Contrary to what i have learned i tried a new sp initially to see how effective it was. I tied on a 3" Atomic jerk bait in motor oil colour and had instant success. I landed 4 fish around the 30cm mark, not monsters but tough little blighters, in the first 10 mins and thought a killer day was in the making. Chris kept these fish for research informing me that they were females in the process leading up to spawing. They were fat little girls and hungry at that.

Then came a little surprise packet... i hooked up to another fish but this one seemed like it had taken steriods for breakfast. Half way to the shore Chris called it for a Bass but its a little hard to tell for the uninitiated like me. Sure enough it was a bass and at around 35cm was welcome bonus. THe Bass though would have the last laugh. As Chris kept the EP's for research none of the first few fish were put back and the fish kept biting freely. As soon as i threw the Bass back the Ep's went missing in action. I don't know if it is a coincidence or that bass affected the rest of the schooling fish but the place shut down... or so i thought.

Chris was there to meet up with a local EP guru called Clint who by Chris' admission said 'if Clint dont catch em no-one will'. This made me curious as i would consider myself a good sp exponent but nowhere near a 'guru'. I wanted so see this so called guru in action. Do you know what ladies and gentlemen? I wasn't disappointed either. This young gun walked over to another patch of weed about 10 meters from us and proceeded to catch EP's one after another. Clint was on his lunch break apparently and fishes for EP's quite regularly and it showed. I reckon he caught well in excess of 30 fish in about an hour. Awesome stuff. It's good to see someone that good in action, you learn alot yourself.

As i went back to car to change lures i stupidly locked my keys in the car. If it wasn't for Chris' generous nature to drop me home i'd still be walking now. I got a mate to drop me back to my car and i convinced him to throw a quick lure in. He hadn't caught an EP b4 but it was night time now and i couldnt garuntee that the fish would still be there let alone on the chew. We made our way to the spot only to see the perch bustin the surface and causing mayhem. Within short time i landed another dozen or so fish and saw my mate glow as his first EP came to the shore. The first of any species is a kodak moment, too bad there were no kodaks in sight. You gotta love this fish.

Just one quick note. Chris' study on EP's is going to take some collective efforts to compile. He would appreciate any help on tracking these elusive fish as they migrate from one section of the river to another so we may understand more about them and in turn help conserve them. If you catch EP's in the hbury please drop me a PM so we may help Chris collate info on them, or better still freeze one and i will collect it on his behalf so it may be studdied. Chris is intending on posting to this website for assistance so i thought i would get the ball rolling on his behalf. Thanks in advance raiders.

Wow Kevvie,

That's a great story. The Bass would be spawning as well this time of year. They move down stream from the fresh and spawn in the brackish water - about 50/50 salt/fresh.

I'm told there's a few Bass to be had in the Nepean (I live right near it) as the season is a little late this year but most of the fish should be downstream happily doing what they do best this time of year!! :biggrin2:

To see the Ep's busting on the surface would have been awsome. I've never caught an EP so it's a species on my list. One day.

Very nice read mate - thanks.

David.