Building A 10# Fly Rod

alexit

Anyone out there built up a fly rod?

I want to put together a 10# to pull next seasons kings from the harbour structure. I have put together a few spin rods to date with great results and now want to go that next step...

I have a 7# struddie 9" 3 piece that lives in a nice box I made so best of all worlds I would like the 10# to also be 9" and 3 piece so they can all bed down in the same box :1prop:

Any info on blanks would be most welcome...I don't want to spend a heap...

alex

Thanks mate, that is the kind of info I was after.

I assume that you can get all that stuff in? If so, do you mind if I come say hello sometime soon, pick your brain bout the details and put in an order for all the bits?

alex

Edited by alexit

Anyone out there built up a fly rod?

I want to put together a 10# to pull next seasons kings from the harbour structure. I have put together a few spin rods to date with great results and now want to go that next step...

I have a 7# struddie 9" 3 piece that lives in a nice box I made so best of all worlds I would like the 10# to also be 9" and 3 piece so they can all bed down in the same box :1prop:

Any info on blanks would be most welcome...I don't want to spend a heap...

alex

If you like the struddie why not use one of their blanks. Give Peter Campbell a call at strudwick

they distribute some awesome blanks from their OEM manufacturer in NZ.

Thats interesting Allen, I would not have thought to take that approch.

I will see what he has to say.

I am having a bit of a hard time finding recipies for any blanks. Anyone has any info on where to start?

alex

If you like the struddie why not use one of their blanks. Give Peter Campbell a call at strudwick

they distribute some awesome blanks from their OEM manufacturer in NZ.

Guest Jewel

I have heard reports of a lot of the current Struddie rods having a lot of tip breakage issues, which is unfortunate as the older ones were rather nice.

I have heard reports of a lot of the current Struddie rods having a lot of tip breakage issues, which is unfortunate as the older ones were rather nice.

With all graphite, breakage is an issue but it is usually dependant on size and quality

like all blanks the lighter, cheaper ones are always more prone to breakage but the CTS blanks struddie sell and use in their upper end ranges are some of the best quality high mod blanks around.If your not keen to front the cost for quality US rolled graphite its been my experience the NZ stuff is a very close second.

Edited by allen glover