Diving Lures - Which One?

Beach Fisho

Hi Raiders,

It's time i started trolling and am looking to purchase a deep and shallow diving lure to troll around middle/north harbour. As i haven't done much trolling, i'm a little confused as to the range available, and which ones might work well.

I read that Minnows are a good way to go, but i wanted to hear from you guys as to your favourite diving lure, and what brands stand up as having good success.

is a little general i know, i hope this is enough for some feedback. I'm sure you all have your own ideas, i'd love to hear some of them

Thanks guys :thumbup:

BJ

Edited by Beach Fisho

Hi BJ,

Rapala CD's are very good but sell for around $20 and over each.

post-237-1150422802_thumb.jpg

There's a million different types of cheapies on Ebay but I don't know if they'd be any good.

I'm sure others will have their favourites and point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

I've been using the 3 1/2" Berkley Frenzy Firesticks a lot lately.

They dive to around 3-4 metres and I've caught everything from Kings to Chinaman Leatheries to Trout on them whilst trolling and at $4 a pop they are great value and to me are proven fish catchers. :1fishing1:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

I've been using the 3 1/2" Berkley Frenzy Firesticks a lot lately.

They dive to around 3-4 metres and I've caught everything from Kings to Chinaman Leatheries to Trout on them whilst trolling and at $4 a pop they are great value and to me are proven fish catchers. :1fishing1:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

G'day Hooky,

I've got a few of those in different colours, silver, gold, purple/white and green/blackstripes.

I bought them cause they were cheap (and had "Berkley" written on the pack :1prop: ).

I should give them a run sometime - they're far more likely to catch a fish if they get wet!!! :wacko:

G'day Hooky,

I've got a few of those in different colours, silver, gold, purple/white and green/blackstripes.

I bought them cause they were cheap (and had "Berkley" written on the pack :1prop: ).

I should give them a run sometime - they're far more likely to catch a fish if they get wet!!! :wacko:

G'day Motty

You probably already know this but never think a cheap lure won't catch fish 'cos it ain't true. Sometimes the cheaper "no name" ones are a bit dodgy but even with a bit of "tweaking" they come up perfect. No prob's as far as I'm concerned. :thumbup::1fishing1:

Thanks Guys, I might give both a go and see how they go. :1fishing1:

What speed are you both using them @?

Cheers, BJ

I owe you one. :beersmile:

G'day BJ

With the frenzys', I troll at about 4 - 6 knots, depends on what I'm chasing. :biggrin2:

Good luck. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

Found some Smiling Jack lures in Port Macquarie last weekend. $6 each.

They look like a pink nipper, took both Flathead and Whiting on them, not bad at all!

Howard.

Edited by bluefin

Halco laser pro's are a really good lure, and don't break the bank. Shop around and you should be able to find the for about $10. Smilin Jack lures are also very good and cheap too!

I agree that cheaper lures will also catch fish, (and maybe even just as many), but be careful about the quality of the materials they use. I've had cheapy lures rust up very quickly, even after rinsing, paint coming off etc. Some split rings have even pulled under load :1badmood: Halco lures come with very good split rings and will definitely last a long time.

almost every minnow type lure on teh market will take the pelagics on offer around sydney headlands. My 3 main lures are the rapala cd magnum, bobo spitfire and the prodcer barra mauler.

The producer is a cheapie at around $5 each.

BUT by far the best lure I have trolled around the heads has been a yozuri/duel crystal vibe, but buggered if I can find anymore of them in sydney shops. :wacko:

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=2822