Late Arvo @ Hc

G'day raiders,

Was doing some work in office yesterday (saturday? :wacko: ) and had a quick look out of the window. The weather was beautiful and thought, bugger it, I'm going :1fishing1: ! Drove off for a quick late lunch and then to HC. Thanks to Mike (Little_Flatty) for your directions.

Had been there past couple of times and always noticed the breams are surface feeding but never had any luck getting connected with them. :1badmood: Probably not knowing what they were eating thus not being able to "match the hatch". I even had an occasion that a biggie crushed the treble of "goldie" and the lure flew out like a rocket onto my feet! Instantly I thought I'm jinxed at HC.

They were again surface feeding yesterday, though not as prolific as the last session I saw. Threw around some small lures including a SX40 but there were no touches. Did some mod to goldie (it is now slow-floating! :thumbup: ) and changed the treble to "sticky" owners. 1st cast and couple of cranks had a knock but missed! Damn! Couple of casts back same spot and then this time, I got ya! A few bursts and up came my 1st fish on goldie!

post-283-1152416407_thumb.jpg post-283-1152416444_thumb.jpg

24cm

My 1st thought was that they probably attack the lure out of aggression. So, I changed to other lures, I reckoned I've changed lures more than I'm actually fishing! As the light was fast diminishing, decided to do sp'ing. Tied on watermelon bm and on a particular twitch, felt some bites, strike and the kix started singing. :yahoo: While I was fighting it, a bloke pulled up his vehicle and ran over to see what the hell I've got. Geez, I felt what I was doing there could have caused traffic problems?! :wacko: After doing 4 runs, up came my HC-pb of 36cm: :biggrin2:

post-283-1152417111_thumb.jpg post-283-1152417132_thumb.jpg

It was my 1st fish on the watermelon and I was stoked. There was a kind gentleman there who helped me took this piccie. It was almost totally dark and I continued with a few more cast and same thing happened for this 26cm:

post-283-1152417498_thumb.jpg

I could have gotten more but due to my lousy angling skills, I could not make the hook stay on the fishes. Pardon me if you happened to see me cursing and swearing while fishing. :1prop:

Cheers

Ronald

ps. sorry, but I'll like to ask again, where the hell are the flatties??

Hi Ronald,

The flatties are in the lane cove mate!! :074::074: Although we only got the one little one yesterday.

That's a ripper little session on the hard bodies and congrats on the PB.

What is a "goldie" if you don't mind me asking... is it a smilin jack??

Good work once again, some nice fish there,

Cheers

David.

Hi Ronald,

The flatties are in the lane cove mate!! :074::074: Although we only got the one little one yesterday.

That's a ripper little session on the hard bodies and congrats on the PB.

What is a "goldie" if you don't mind me asking... is it a smilin jack??

Good work once again, some nice fish there,

Cheers

David.

Hi David,

Thanks. Oh crap, didn't know they were there mate.

Yup, goldie is a smilin jack. The colour name should be "laser-gold" or "gold-laser", can't remember as I've chucked away the packaging.

Cheers

Guest madsmc

Some quality bream there Ronald. :thumbup:

I have that same Smilin Jack Minnow in my tackle box. Haven't had any success on it as yet, but I think you've just inspired me to give it another run next time I'm out.

I can't explain where the flathead are down your way, but up here they seem to be very few and far between, compared to the warmer months. The key for me has been to fish slow and deep, and as always, cover a bit of territory. You'll find them eventually. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

:1yikes:

Wha? I actually put someone onto FISH?

Well done Ronald! Some corker bream there!

I dunno where the flatties are cos I haven't been on the water for over six weeks now :1badmood: but I did get a few there during summer. Cold water is probably making them lazy like madsmc says.

Mike