Blackfish Revisited

wetmut

G'day raiders,

Been a keen reader for a little while now and thought i'd finally put finger to key and say g'day and share my last trip.

Usually i put the boat in and hit 5 islands or Kiama and throw lures and flys at sambos 'n kings,but i'd been keen to try an old spot,where i cut my teeth on fishing for blackfish 20+ years ago.Now back then this was a gr8 spot,so i grabbed a tight lipped mate who didn't mind being blindfolded and hit it.

Arrived just b4 dawn,with a 10 kt sou'wester blowing straight off the mountains,must have been 2 degrees or less,but with burning fingers and dripping noses,we geared up and made our 1 k walk to the spot.The sun was just peaking over the horizon when we arrived.The morning was clear and crisp not a cloud in the sky,a clean 1-1.5m swell was running,couldn't get any better! or could it!

We had a dropping tide and were about half way there so got on it quik incase the swell dropped as this spot only works when there is white water and lots of it.So, check the waves while rigging up,cabbage from the rock,1st rusty cast into the weed at the bottom of the shelf, gr8,untangle the mess of float n split shot,my mate jeff still rigging , 2nd cast , time the set wave and cast into the rip ,spot on,the float sits nice in the foamy mess of white water, hurriedly racing down the rock ledge , up, down, in the chop,up down,down down ,shit,what do i do !! to much belly to strike,wind wind wind amazingly the fish was still there and realising he was hooked turned it on,what gr8 fish,hard dirty fighters that never give up!finally got him over the ledge whoo hoo just hit 45cm.And that was the start of it,3hrs of full on extreme blackfishing.Big waves big fish.Jeff,who bought a good bk/fish rod the day b4 couldn't believe it,he'd had a gr8 day.

We caught about 10 each and got wiped out by heaps, released most and took the ones in the pics for afeed.One fish was big enough to fit ur thumb in its mouth,monster! Do mustad bk/fish hooks come bigger than size 6?. Don,t u luv it, the old spot came through and the weather looks good for wed again,so i know what i'll be doing!

thanks raiders

mic