Wierd Reel Seat

Red

Hi guys, a mate of mine got a rod built with the strangest looking reel seat. It appears to be anodised aluminium in a beautiful blue colour but instead of being round, its triangular. It looks wierd but feels unreal. Anyone know who makes them?

Red

At risk of crossing advertising boundaries

you could check out the Freeway ALPS seats prolly the easiest model to get here in Australia

also think AMTAK make the same style but thats a US brand

they do look the ducks guts dont they

Edited by allen glover

Cheers Allen, that is the one.

An absolutely superb reel seat, especially for the heavy spin rod i'm planning to build. How do i get my paws on one locally? Do you supply?

Regards

Red

Edited by Red

Cheers Allen, that is the one.

An absolutely superb reel seat, especially for the heavy spin rod i'm planning to build. How do i get my paws on one locally? Do you supply?

Regards

Red

Truth be told they are actually designed for OH jig sticks but they do make excellent threadie seats too.

re supply questions.. Not any more .

Ask your local tackle store to get it in from Freeway or your local distributor of Freeway stuff.

IF you have any dramas though give me a call 0419 895 074 and I'll try and

find you a local supplier.

Edited by swordfisherman

In a word.....Comfort. They feel really nice with a big thready. They also look unreal :thumbup:

They give the rod a genuine custom appearance and come in a range of colours to boot.

Regards

Red

what is the point in them being such a shape??

when used on a OH jig stick it nothces into your fingers a bit better than a round seat imagine how your hand sits on the bottom of the seat when laying line on a jig stroke the shape provides a little more support to stop the rod wobbling

it also has a flat real seat so reel clamps can be eliminated.

not Ideal for some applications but don't discount them outright when building up most blue water rods

Edited by allen glover

when used on a OH jig stick it nothces into your fingers a bit better than a round seat imagine how your hand sits on the bottom of the seat when laying line on a jig stroke the shape provides a little more support to stop the rod wobbling

it also has a flat real seat so reel clamps can be eliminated.

not Ideal for some applications but don't discount them outright when building up most blue water rods

guess I'd have to handle one to see how comfortable they are, it has taken me a bit of practice to be able to jig at a good speed and lay line properly without the rod moving everywhere. :wacko:

guess I'd have to handle one to see how comfortable they are, it has taken me a bit of practice to be able to jig at a good speed and lay line properly without the rod moving everywhere. :wacko:

Doing the spiral wrap will lock the rod in position even at low loads. This is the best way to eliminate rod roll. In a few weeks time I will be doing a 50lb stick for demo use. You are welcome to take it for a session and put it through its paces

IM not a fan of OH jig sticks for roll and line lay reasons but they do allow for a slightly shorter rod. some of the latest options in this range are now coming down to 5ft'8 or so

6ft'ish HD threadies are better options for this job IMHO

Doing the spiral wrap will lock the rod in position even at low loads. This is the best way to eliminate rod roll. In a few weeks time I will be doing a 50lb stick for demo use. You are welcome to take it for a session and put it through its paces

My experience with both spiral and std OH jig sticks is that there is very little performance difference between the two until hooked up. Infact spirals tend to jerk and wobble a lot more when being worked due to the fact that the spiral only offers beneifts when under load. On the wind or drop stroke the rod will still tend to roll as normal ( if not more) as it doesnt have any load on it. Then when it does suddenly load up on the pump/lift stroke it straightens up far more savagely and abruptly than a std OH due to the spiral pulling the rod/reel upright, something that simply doesnt happen on std OH's as they want to stay down and are held upright by the angler all the way through the process. Also for the same reason that Short strokers dont make good spirals, the shorter length that Jig sticks are trending toward doesnt lend itself to spiralling as your line angles through the spiral have to be to sharp for the line loads.

Thats been my experience anyways be interested to hear how your prototypes differed from mine.

Allen

Edited by allen glover

I havent noticed the problems with the spirals undr 6', if anything it has done wonders for the strokers and jig rods. The weight of the lure is enough to lock it in place. The line also looks like its following a nicer path. I have done spirals from 4lb-130lb, 5'-11' and have never ever noticed any negetive impact.

I havent noticed the problems with the spirals undr 6', if anything it has done wonders for the strokers and jig rods. The weight of the lure is enough to lock it in place. The line also looks like its following a nicer path. I have done spirals from 4lb-130lb, 5'-11' and have never ever noticed any negetive impact.

130LB WOW :1yikes: tell me more, what guides successfully handle 60kg capacities??

My problem with any sub 6ft rod, apart from maybe the lightest baitcasters, is that they usually fall into bluewater non casting setups and these require a longer overall grip length thus you have insufficient room to get the spiral over and done with. Especially given that it will be spiralling well into the working section of the blank. Even in short strokers with a short rear grip you are still say 2in gimble, 10in rear, 5inch seat, 14in foregrip. thats 31inches off a rod that is only about 66inches(5ft6in) long. You are then left with 35inches(2ft11in) or less than a meter to successfully spiral a minimum of 5 guides.

I Would love to see a pic of a rod like this loaded up and how you overcome this issue alone . esp in 60kg.

Also I note you mention the weight of the lure "locks the rod in place" Im at a loss to see how this can be as roll problems are inherant in all overhead Jig sticks (let alone spirals). Given that the very aim of jigging is to loose all lure weight on the drop stroke to allow the jig to fall as quickly as it can.

Its this very loss of weight that jig users look for so they can let a lure flutter on the drop. Also Its the inherant wobble that results from jigging OH rods that Heavy duty threadlines have become a far more desirable option for this form of fishing.

I let the rods speak for themselves in the fishos hand, so far they have behaved.

Each to his own I suppose.

Maybe if Bash gives your 50lb'er a shot he can put a report on its performance up

Contrary to his unfathomable penchant for shimano back bones :074: he knows his rods better than most.

Why not shot him the 130lb model at the same time if you have one

hed have a reel to give it a proper test out somewhere.

Edited by allen glover

Each to his own I suppose.

Maybe if Bash gives your 50lb'er a shot he can put a report on its performance up

Contrary to his unfathomable penchant for shimano back bones :074: he knows his rods better than most.

Why not shot him the 130lb model at the same time if you have one

hed have a reel to give it a proper test out somewhere.

If he was going to a destination like the deep dropoffs in Hervey Bay he would would be welcome to try the REEF RIPPER XXH out. I normally fish this with a low slung belt and 80lb braid with a tekota 800 locked up. Some off the monster cods still snap this like cotton. I will be making a REEF RIPPER XH soon as a demo rod as I mentioned in the previous post. All raiders are welcome to try this one out. Use your own reels

If he was going to a destination like the deep dropoffs in Hervey Bay he would would be welcome to try the REEF RIPPER XXH out. I normally fish this with a low slung belt and 80lb braid with a tekota 800 locked up. Some off the monster cods still snap this like cotton. I will be making a REEF RIPPER XH soon as a demo rod as I mentioned in the previous post. All raiders are welcome to try this one out. Use your own reels

Why such an under rated reel class the maximum drag load of a Tekota 800 is only 24lb or 10kg and they surely cant get even close to the potential of an 130lb rated blank.

And how do you jig properly using a belt ?

Also doesnt that contradict what you were saying about spirals being twist proof if you are using a belt then of course it isnt going to roll its jammed into a gimbal ! most proper jigging is done with the rod held under the arm pit. gimbals simply kill half your stroke straight off the back.

BTW Isnt targeting big cod illegal up there or is that just keeping them?

Edited by allen glover

Why such an over rated line class the maximum drag load of a Tekota 800 is only 24lb or 10kg and they surely cant get even close to the potential of an 80lb rated blank.

And how do you jig properly using a belt ?

Also doesnt that contradict what you were saying about spirals being twist proof if you are using a belt then of course it isnt going to roll its jammed into a gimbal ! most proper jigging is done with the rod held under the arm pit. gimbals simply kill half your stroke straight off the back.

BTW Isnt targeting big cod illegal up there or is that just keeping them?

Belt for fighting. To get a better leverage

I set the drag to 15kg on the tekota 800 using scales.

I am unable to stop the cods from taking the biat/jig, my powers are not that great :1prop: