Forster And Taree

Fisherman5

Hey Guys, I'm heading up the Coast next holidays and spending a week up at Forster/Tuncurry and a few days at Taree. Really keen to head offshore and do a bit of bottom bouncing. I hear Both places have a Bars at their entrances. If its possible a little bit of info about crossing and best time,tides etc would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks heaps Mitch :biggrin2:

Hey Guys, I'm heading up the Coast next holidays and spending a week up at Forster/Tuncurry and a few days at Taree. Really keen to head offshore and do a bit of bottom bouncing. I hear Both places have a Bars at their entrances. If its possible a little bit of info about crossing and best time,tides etc would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks heaps Mitch :biggrin2:

Hey, Fisho5. My only advice is to exercise great caution and if you can get a local to go with you then do so. Bars for the uninitiated can be rather dangerous, and remember, always wear a life jacket when crossing bars. I think this is law.

Hey, Fisho5. My only advice is to exercise great caution and if you can get a local to go with you then do so. Bars for the uninitiated can be rather dangerous, and remember, always wear a life jacket when crossing bars. I think this is law.

Thanks very much mate :biggrin2:

Gday Mitch, Welcome to Fishraider.

Crossed the bar at Forster a fair bit over the years, Its generally quite predictable but always be cautious. When heading in and out always stick to the Southern breakwall which has the Coastal Patrol tower, as the Northern side is quite shallow and is where most waves break.Most locals cross the bar early and most come back at around Midday or earlier before low tide and before there's a good chance of a North Easterly blowing up. When coming back in, I usually pick a lull in the waves and go for gold.Riding the waves in is also a good way :1prop: , and always log in with the Forter Tuncurry Coastal patrol.

All the best lad...Steve

PS: Mate would not even consider crossing the Bar up at Taree/Manning river. From a fool who has crossed it once before, simply don't bother :1prop: Crowdy Head is a much better option and his only a few minutes up North.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

The best plave to access the ocean around taree is from a ramp at Crowdy Heads. This is in a man made bay behind a large retaining wall and there is no bar to go across.

Travel north from taree then take a right trun from the Pacific Highway towards Harrington. Follow this all the way to Crowdy Heads.

The Harrington - Manning Point Bar should not be taken on unless you know it very well and there is little swell.

Good Luck.