What Reel?

KingsRule

G'day all, im in the market for a new reel , after loosing my favourite combo to the drink a few weeks back :mad3: .

Hopefully something around the 4000 size, I will be using it for larger plastics , light live baiting & spinning and the like.

inmind sofar i have 4 reels

- Daiwa capricorn 4000j

- Shimano baitrunner 3500

- Shimano symentrye (spelling?) 4000

- Stradic 4000

Any other reel suggestions appreciated

At this stage im not sure , but if anyone has any pros or cons of the above reels please post em up , will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

G'day all, im in the market for a new reel , after loosing my favourite combo to the drink a few weeks back :mad3: .

Hopefully something around the 4000 size, I will be using it for larger plastics , light live baiting & spinning and the like.

inmind sofar i have 4 reels

- Daiwa capricorn 4000j

- Shimano baitrunner 3500

- Shimano symentrye (spelling?) 4000

- Stradic 4000

Any other reel suggestions appreciated

At this stage im not sure , but if anyone has any pros or cons of the above reels please post em up , will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

All good suggestions.

May I also suggest you add in the Pflueger Medallist?

I love mine and I'm normally a baitcaster holdout! :biggrin2:

Mike

value for money... symetre, if you cant get hold of one for less than $130 your not looking hard enough.

best option - get to a reliable tackle store, hold and test them all on the same rod (similar to the one you will be eventually purchasing) and see how they compare, test the drags, test everything and do your homework.

then work out which one is the best value for money but most of all will suit everything you are planning on using it for...

My choice obviously is the symetre.

if you speak to the walking tackle store (sammy0884) you may be able to find something he isnt needing anymore (and is less that 3 months old :wacko: ) :074::074:

i hear he has a symetre 4000 l/w 14lb pink fireline which he has mentioned he doesnt know what to do with anymore since buying the new heavy duty baitcaster and T-curve :biggrin2:

perhaps the right offer can sway him :tease:

CFD

:1prop: and i only just bought the damn thing chris!!

i have tried the lot when it comes to 4000 size spinning reels, and the symetre wins hands down value for money. They have identical specefication to the stradics, the difference is that one is made in Japan and carries an extra $100 on the price tag, the stradics are also more prone to body flex under high drag pressures. i actually found the symetre to be alot smoother and less clunky when demoing it against the stradic.

Little flattie, i recently owned a pflueger medallist, the high speed 6.3:1 version, it was a great reel but it didn't feel right, it wasnt as balanced as the shimanos (it wobbled, like the rotor arm wasnt balanced)

Little flattie, i recently owned a pflueger medallist, the high speed 6.3:1 version, it was a great reel but it didn't feel right, it wasnt as balanced as the shimanos (it wobbled, like the rotor arm wasnt balanced)

Kingsrule I'd trust this man's words more than mine because a) he catches more fish than me and b.) I'm primarily an OH/Baitcaster user so I'm not that familiar with threadies at all :biggrin2:

Cheers :beersmile:

Mike

Edited by Little_Flatty

but to answer your question KingsRule, here are my thoughts... budget aside

- Daiwa capricorn 4000j - Good reel, on par with the shimanos...

- Shimano baitrunner 3500 - Great for live baiting, not great for plastics and high speed spinning, there is a bump in the mechanics.

- Shimano symetre 4000 - Great reel, technically better than a stradic, but made in malaysia (still has 10yr warranty) great for lures and plastics, lacks features to live bait.

- Stradic 4000 - Great reel, misses out on the super slow spool oscillation, so the line wrap on the spool isn't as neat as the symetre (less casting distance with light plastics and lures), it feels slightly lighter than the symetre.

in the end it comes down to what you want to do with the reel and what rod it will be going on to, if you are going to be doing more live baiting, get the baitrunner, it has the advantages of the freespool control and the waterproof drag, a low mantinence reel, they feel great on a nice big snapper rod with some heavy braid. However, if you will be doing more plastic and lure work then go for the Capricorn, symetre or stradic, these are lighter reels with more finesse and luxury. You will probably struggle to find a rod that will have the power to sit in a rod holder with the reel in gear attached to a livie and have the touch and accuracy to throw a 10gm jig head or a 17gm manic and work it properly, which would be more suited to a light stiff graphite spin rod...

my suggestions for combos are as follows:

Live baiting, HEAVY lures 50gm+ and jigging - Go for the Baitrunner with a 7 foot big butt fibreglass snapper rod of of about 6-10kg and some 14-20 lb braid or similar weight mono.

Bait soaking, lures 10-40gm and plastics 6 - 20gm - Go for either one of the other spinning reels with a stiffer graphite rod of around 6"8' - 7" and 4-7kg or 7"2' - 7"6' and 5-8kg. spool up with 12-14lb braid and you will be set!

Kingsrule I'd trust this man's words more than mine because a) he catches more fish than me and b.) I'm primarily an OH/Baitcaster user so I'm not that familiar with threadies at all :biggrin2:

Cheers :beersmile:

Mike

Mike, i have just made my first move into the world of baitcasters :) a Shimano corvalus 400 on a T-Curve tournament baitcast 6-10kg with some 20lb fins... i'll be rewarding myself with a calcutta 400 TE once i have my casting finely tuned

Cheers

Mike, i have just made my first move into the world of baitcasters :) a Shimano corvalus 400 on a T-Curve tournament baitcast 6-10kg with some 20lb fins... i'll be rewarding myself with a calcutta 400 TE once i have my casting finely tuned

Something tells me:

a) Jewies on SPs

b.) Kingies on SPs/bait/anything else

c) Macks/Frigates/Bonito/Stripies/Salmon

:biggrin2:

Hope you enjoy the ride Sammy. I love using baitcasters cos they feel great to use but I am starting to see the light with threadlines and ultralight lures. And always remember - everyone gets birdsnests sometime.

Okay enough from me I don't want to hijack this thread...some good suggestions there KingsRule!

Mike

Edited by Little_Flatty

Guest Jewel

Capricorn........ great drag and solid......

As for speed, how fast do you need to go........ not many Longtails down here!

Besides for a high end small eggbeater Certates are the pick and similar ratios.

For the price symetre's are VERY hard to beat

i see, thanks jewel :thumbup: , i should have added im buying for when i go on holiday up north, will be used mainly chucking metals & larger plastics for mackeral , trevally and hopefully a tuna of some sort.

Edited by KingsRule