New Boats Underpowered?

MrGenius

I've been looking at a few boats lately and they all seem to be very low in the max. hp. rating that they are allowed. I dunno about the rest of you fellas but i like to have a fair few horses left up the back paddock should they need to be used :wacko:

I see that most of the boats that have this problem have minimal to no support around the transom which leaves no option but to use a lighter smaller capacity motor, why cant boat manufacturers spend another two bucks to reinforce the transom to carry a larger load?

I've been looking at a few boats lately and they all seem to be very low in the max. hp. rating that they are allowed. I dunno about the rest of you fellas but i like to have a fair few horses left up the back paddock should they need to be used :wacko:

I see that most of the boats that have this problem have minimal to no support around the transom which leaves no option but to use a lighter smaller capacity motor, why cant boat manufacturers spend another two bucks to reinforce the transom to carry a larger load?

Mr G, I had the same problem when I was looking at new boats a couple of years ago. In relation to transom build strength, all the tinnies I lookes at in the 4.6 mtr range were rather flimsy except for the SeaJay brand, built in Bundaberg Qld. I have a 4.55 Magnum carrying a 50 hp Honda 4st weighlng in at 96kg's. The transom on the SeaJay has 100mm x 50mm box section rails across the inside of the transom and is the strongest build out of all the other brands in the same class. They also have the highest sides at the transom end, about 760mm from chine to gunwhale. That made my decision easy, as no other boat is built like this as far as I can determine. Sold only in Sydney by Family Boats at Blacktown and the guy to talk to is John Smale - good bloke and very knowledgeable. All the SeaJay range are built tough. Mate of mine in Nth QLd bought 2 tinnies 4.55, for hire and SeaJay were the ONLY manufacture who would build that size to Survey specs. Speaks for itself. Go to the site www.seajayboats.com.au and have a geek.

Your max motor weight also depends on how much floation is available to support it in case of swamping,the boat floating with just the pointy end visible is frowned up these days with formal floation standards starting to come into force.

Regards Charlie

Edited by zook2001

I find strange that the min hp rec that they sell most package boats do

seam a little under powered for the job

Sure with one person or two it,s okay but when you start to load it up to it,s capacity

they struggle

But somtimes to much HP is over the top and is not needed

as you add weight and then it cost more to run off the plane

I think they also look carefully into how they can sell the boat as a package with motors etc

if you want more HP you need to go up in length = more cost to you = more profit to them (possibly)

but they need to make sure the safety side is correct which is the main concern in all boating