Whitch Reel For Awoonga

wade

Hi guys im heading to awoonga in november and am having trounble making my mind up on a reel.

ive norrowed it down to eather

SHIMANO CRONARCH

Daiwa Millionaire BAY AREA SPECIAL 100

Daiwa Millionaire SW 103

Daiwa Saltist HRF

or just use my quantum tour edition pt ( but im keen to buy a new one as i tell the wife you can never have to much tackle)

No matter what reel i buy it will be sent to jack ersken for a full drag upgrade

Please help me out to many good reels to chose from

Hi guys im heading to awoonga in november and am having trounble making my mind up on a reel.

ive norrowed it down to eather

SHIMANO CRONARCH

Daiwa Millionaire BAY AREA SPECIAL 100

Daiwa Millionaire SW 103

Daiwa Saltist HRF

or just use my quantum tour edition pt ( but im keen to buy a new one as i tell the wife you can never have to much tackle)

No matter what reel i buy it will be sent to jack ersken for a full drag upgrade

Please help me out to many good reels to chose from

Blacksheep 250 with 7kg drag and a decent amount of 15kg braid, or the Bluebacker with 6kg drag and a decent amount of 10kg braid would be my 1st two choices, neither of these reels require drag upgrades as they are about the best Daiwa produces.

What sort of rod are you matching it upto? I'm looking for a couple of rods for my BB and the blacksheep for jigging on close reefs and impoundment cod sticks.

Cheers, Allan

Edited by Funda

Hi matey, do you have a preference for low profile reels?

How does your Quantum perform? I was very close to buying one but opted for the Shimano Metanium XT (very similar to the Chronarch). Personally, i prefer the comfort of low profile, so out of your impressive list i'd go for the Saltist or Chronarch.

Good luck

Red

Gday Red,

The only thing with the low profiles in close quarters to snags type fishing is the lack of drag power, the HRF and most other LP Daiwas only have about a 4kg drag where the Bluebacker has 6kg and the Sheep 7kg outta the box, but I'm not sure bout the Shimanos as I'm a Daiwa man.

Some of the rods these days have a low set reel seat that makes a barrell type BC a lot more comfy, but I think you gotta go Daiwa or custom to get this type of reel seat.

The HRF and the TDA153 are basically the same reel & the TDA has the thumbs up from me, but I dont really like the Daiwa coastals that much.

Still keen to hear what rod the reels going on tho.

Cheers, Allan

Guest BBM Rick

For my money it would be the Daiwa Millionaire Bay Casting Special. It is simply awesome, and very versitile.

Rick.

G'day Funda, that sure is a hell of alot of drag. You must be using some pretty serious rods to handle those loads.

I can see why people love those Daiwa's, especially that Black Sheep......she looks a ripper :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

im useing a king rods custom 6ft rod rated to fish 30lb braid. saga is just getting the parts as we speek its going to be awsome.

red the quantum is awsome to use and verry smooth how does your Metanium XT go as thats what i was going to actully buy the conarch.

aqnd with the drum style reels i have listed im not actully sure if there designed for a lot of casting from what i can read any thoughts

Edited by edaw

im useing a king rods custom 6ft rod rated to fish 50lb braid. saga is just getting the parts as we speek its going to be awsome.

red the quantum is awsome to use and verry smooth how does your Metanium XT go as thats what i was going to actully buy the conarch.

aqnd with the drum style reels i have listed im not actully sure if there designed for a lot of casting from what i can read any thoughts

Edaw, there's some footage from the latest "Fishing DVD" (#4) where Steve Sarling and Jason Wilhelm fish for barra in Lake Awoonga. They're both using different Shimano reels, one is a Calcutta (400) and the other is a Chronarch or Calais. They suggest 15-25kg braid and 25-40kg mono traces. You'll also need bloody strong hooks, rings and lures. In the footage, Steve landed a 93cm fish and Jason landed a 97 and 109cm fish. All fish were cauhgt during the day, casting lures at structure. I'd suggest watching this footage - they give viewers some tips about fishing Awoonga.

Flattieman.

Edaw, the Metanium XT is quality. Can't speak highly enough about it. I run 20lb braid on it and it casts real well. I'm not a great fan of drum reels for casting and working lures but each to their own. I just find low profile reels a lot more ergonomic in design and comfortable to use cast after cast.

That video sounds hardcore!

Cheers

Red

That video sounds hardcore!

You bet, Red! I've got all the series so far - some damn good footage. Apart from the barra in this one, it also features bloody huge flatties, massive cobia and an assortment of pelagics! Available at all good newsagents.

Flattieman.