Reels

andrias

anyone have any suggestion as to what reel i should be buying?

i am looking for reel that can be used for casting, trolling and can hold a resonable length of line

i normally use the normal spinning reel and really have no idea about any trolling reel :1prop: so any suggestion will be appreciated :thumbup: .

cheers

I'f you're serious about doing a lot of long distance casting, you'll have to get a star drag reel, such as the Shimano Torium or Daiwa Saltist. If you want a level wind, the Shimano tekota is a good option. All reels are very tough and reliable. The Saltist (H models) and Toriums however, have higher retrieve ratios than the tekota though.

All can be used for trolling and the larger models hold LOTS of line. They are all around $250-300

Cheers

just need general reel for like snapper, jewfish, mahi2 and maybe some tuna :1prop:

and can be used for land based and boat (asking too much am i? :074: )

cheers

oh btw wat do u mean by level wind? does that mean it can't be used for casting?

sorry if i ask stupid question me really2 amateur :1prop:

Guest danielinbyron

dude if your going to troll allot and in places where you may get hit by a serious fish... ie large tuna or the likes .. i reccomend a tld 25 as entry level.. they're cheap and strong and i'll back you'll learn to wind your thread back on the spool evenly in twenty minutes...particularly when trolling as when you make a mistake you just let the line out again and do it again...i use one for that and live baiting off the rocks castabilty sort of sucks but... big spinning reels or something like a 6500 b baitrunner may prove to be a more versatile bet for you,,, i'm thinking of changing to one for live baiting as it would serve as a spinning reel for bait and with a change of tackle my main rig to live bait for small blue fin tuna...

dude if your going to troll allot and in places where you may get hit by a serious fish... ie large tuna or the likes .. i reccomend a tld 25 as entry level.. they're cheap and strong and i'll back you'll learn to wind your thread back on the spool evenly in twenty minutes...particularly when trolling as when you make a mistake you just let the line out again and do it again...i use one for that and live baiting off the rocks castabilty sort of sucks but... big spinning reels or something like a 6500 b baitrunner may prove to be a more versatile bet for you,,, i'm thinking of changing to one for live baiting as it would serve as a spinning reel for bait and with a change of tackle my main rig to live bait for small blue fin tuna...

must agree my tld 25 is serving me very well, plenty of drag pressure at your fingers too. great entry level choice.

i dont think i am going to troll a lot

i will do mostly land based fishing (so i need to cast) and occasional boat fishing

If you're mostly land based it's probably worth going for the 6500 baitrunner or similar mentioned above. They're a threadline reel & will be much easier to cast than an overhead. I'm a die hard overhead man, I love playing with them but when it comes to casting, overheads can be a challenge. Anyone can turf a bait out on the end of a threadline reel on just about any rod. I'd probably spend more time fighting fish, less time cursing & lose less lures to birdsnests if I'd listen to my own advice & buy a threadline. Those baitrunner reels don't look much but they've got big nuts. Easy to use as well.

if your keen on getting an overhead id recommend a shimano tsmIV, star drag with no level wind and a great casting overhead. ive got two i use as boat reels and off the beach. theyve been around for a while but are dependant and wont cost you a fortune. picked one of mine up off ebay for $100.

thanks for the suggestion guys

jewnut i tried to search for shimano tsmlV but could not find one in ebay

At the moment, after doing some research through the internet, i am leaning toward daiwa saltist and shimano torium.

the reason i want an overhead reel is because i alrdy own a spinning real and a good one as well, so baitrunner 6500 is out

Edited by SeriouslyInNeedOfHookingBigFish