Armed Gangs Stealing Fish

Flattieman

Armed gangs stealing fish

Peterborough Today

8/8/2006

"RUTHLESS gangs armed with guns and knives are stealing thousands of fish from the River Nene for a healthy profit.

Using catch nets and often working in the dead of night, the criminals are targeting big fish to sell them on to fisheries.

The bigger the fish, the more cash poachers can receive as larger specimens are attractive to anglers who pay to fish private waters.

Now, Environment Agency officials armed with batons, handcuffs and body armour are patrolling the riverbanks and lakes in the area in a bid to clamp down on the thieves.

The River Nene has been cited as one of the worst hotspots for fish thefts along with the Thames, and the agency has stepped up efforts to restore calm by sending out the "high-impact fisheries enforcement" officers.

Environment Agency project executive Steve Moore said: "The officers are fully trained and equipped to professionally address the threat of serious fishing crime.

"From a legitimate supplier, a 20lb carp is worth about £500, while larger specimens can attract much more. Recently a 44lb common carp sold for £8,500, and illegal stocking of waters can be a profitable crime.

"It's not just what the fish is worth, but how much revenue it can attract from anglers wanting to catch it."

Mr Moore said that illegal activity in the waterways can crop up wherever people think there is money to be made or corners to be cut.

He added: "When enforcing the fisheries laws, our officers have the same powers as police officers. In certain circumstances they may arrest suspects, and all officers involved in enforcement work are now equipped with body armour, handcuffs and extendable batons.

"The covert nature of some of our surveillance activities means that both training and equipment differ from normal fisheries enforcement.

"Officers have reported incidents of abuse and threatening behaviour. some suspects carry knives and occasionally we encounter firearms."

Mr Moore said eastern Europeans stealing fish to eat was another problem they had to deal with in Peterborough.

While freshwater fish, such as carp, perch, roach, bream and pike are not to British tastes, in many central and eastern European countries they are regarded as delicacies.

The Evening Telegraph's fishing expert, Ken Wade, who is the match secretary for the Peterborough and District Angling Club, said: "We have fish taken daily, and people are not respecting the rules.

"It has been going on for 18 months or so, but is becoming much more noticeable.

"Anglers pay a lot of money for fishing these days, and they want everyone to play by the rules.

"I know all over the world people catch fish for their dinner, but in England that is not the done thing.

"It is not only that, but there are groups of people going round stealing fish, and something has to be done."

Keen angler Darren Crombie (25), of Sugar Way, Woodston, Peterborough, said: "The first rule of fishing is that you always put your catch back. Any true angler does not want to see his catch die, and much less have him for dinner.

"I have seen it with my own eyes and it makes people very angry. it's going to lead to violence on the riverbanks in the future if it isn't sorted out."

Prosecutions for the most serious types of fish crime have tripled in the past three years. Between April and June, the agency dealt with 1,200 cases of illegal fishing. The cases resulted in formal cautions and fines and costs of £145,000.

>> Anyone with information about any possible incidents of illegal fishing should call the Environment Agency's 24-hour incident hotline, in confidence, on 0800 807060."

Flattieman.

Jesus, Flattyman, you need to get yourself a hobby, like fishing or something to get you off the internet. You've got far too much time on your hands judging by the last 7 topics !!!!!

:074: Well, I am an "ADDICTED MEMBER"! :074: Actually, I just choose the best few each day that my Google Alert throws up. I can't take all the credit! :biggrin2:

Flattieman.

"From a legitimate supplier, a 20lb carp is worth about £500, while larger specimens can attract much more. Recently a 44lb common carp sold for £8,500, and illegal stocking of waters can be a profitable crime.

Would make you think twice about throwing them onto the bank to rot, the next time you reel one in

Guest johblow

Agghhh... they can keep their carp! Did you know that the person who named 'carp' made a typo - he meant to write 'crap'!!!!! I guess we are stuck with it now.... ;-)