Dee Why Beach - Pretty Dull

MrChipsnSalad

Not too much too report, but I did have a go. Got to the beach about 4.00pm and fished til about 5.30pm (had to go home and cook - wifes away for business). Fished on the southern side of the rip in front of the life Guard Club. I was down there with my dad, and we fished pillies and squid. The squid certainly seemed to be the go. I had some very nice fresh pillies that were seemingly perfect, but I would have been better off frying them up for all the bites I got. The squid seemed to be the better option, with plenty of bites. My dad dropped two fish in the shore break, with one being a reasonable Flathead, but the other one went unseen. He did land a throw back Flathead, which is probably better than nothing.

We were fishing the bottom of the tide, and the side wash on the shallow bank really did not help. I always see a bloke fishing down there in waders - are you a raider? You'll know who you are. Say good-day if you are! I'm sure you would have seen us eye balling each other to see who had the wood today.

Anyway, I may try Narrabeen lake on Thursday afternoon. The wife is away for two weeks, so I can get stuck into the fishing without reprise. :1fishing1: Although i have to cook for our boy.

I hope that this is useful to someone.

It's useful to us all MrChips!!

Good to hear that the flatties are out and about off the beach, although I'm surprised that they turned their nose up at the pillies. Sounds like you got some reasonable action though for only an hour and a half's fishing.

I find that side wash is often a problem on the beach - my solution is larger and non-ball sinkers (i.e. different shape that won't roll around on the bottom). I used to be a bit wary of upsizing lead on the beach but I've found that the downside of having bait that won't stay where it's supposed to is much worse. Also, I've had a bit of success on the whiting off the beaches lately - but only if you can get fresh or live blood worms. Have picked up a couple on peeled prawns but blood or beachworms are better.

Thanks for the report - good to see there are other passionate beach fishos in our midst!!

Not too much too report, but I did have a go. Got to the beach about 4.00pm and fished til about 5.30pm (had to go home and cook - wifes away for business). Fished on the southern side of the rip in front of the life Guard Club. I was down there with my dad, and we fished pillies and squid. The squid certainly seemed to be the go. I had some very nice fresh pillies that were seemingly perfect, but I would have been better off frying them up for all the bites I got. The squid seemed to be the better option, with plenty of bites. My dad dropped two fish in the shore break, with one being a reasonable Flathead, but the other one went unseen. He did land a throw back Flathead, which is probably better than nothing.

We were fishing the bottom of the tide, and the side wash on the shallow bank really did not help. I always see a bloke fishing down there in waders - are you a raider? You'll know who you are. Say good-day if you are! I'm sure you would have seen us eye balling each other to see who had the wood today.

Anyway, I may try Narrabeen lake on Thursday afternoon. The wife is away for two weeks, so I can get stuck into the fishing without reprise. :1fishing1: Although i have to cook for our boy.

I hope that this is useful to someone.

G'day Chipsnsalad, I tried Narra Lake yesterday arvo for 3 nice sized bream on whitebait. (all released)

Theye were there in abundance about 1PM but went off the bite after about 90 mins. Didn't get a bite after that. Tried plastics too but they had disappeared completely by 2.30PM.

I was fishing at the end of Robertson St..nice spot too with seats right on the shore so was very comfy.

I went around to Wibledon Ave after they went off the bite but got squat there.

Might try the beach myself later today if I can find some bloodworms at the local bait supply and see if there are any whiting on the chew.

I believe the entrance has closed up again but the water in the lake is looking a lot better with a good flush out for a few weeks. Nice & clear now but that horrible pelican weed is still about.

Good luck if you go, I might see you down there.

Pete.