140kg Blue Marlin

pnoddie

R_Zee, Noddy,

A pretty easy way to I.D stripes from blues is the actual height of the dorsal fin. The height of the dorsal in stripes is usually equivillant to the depth of the body. As you can see with your fish, its got quite a tall dorsal. There's other ways to I.D them such as their lower Jaw, Lateral line etc...

Chris

P.S Have a Sticky beak here : http://www.marlinnut.com/facts/strmarlin.shtml

Edited by Aero

Do not let the facts get in the way of a great story :beersmile: What a fish...... and this time of the year!!!!!!.

Your first Marlin is like a Hole in One in golf. This will be a moment that you will never forget.

I just sold my boat cause the wife wants to buy a house. Seeing the pictures and reading your story is only making me more depressed.

Congratulations to the crew, a great effort.

Cheers

Jo

Was REEL-EM-IN

24 kg line, Shimano tiagra, 200lb trace, pakula devil 20cm in dark blue and red.

the trace marks are still on my hands, i think i will invest in some heavy duty gloves

i find the sheep skin lined rigging gloves work a treat .little extra padding helps but u can still feel the strech in the leader .we use 300 to 400lb trace for stripes and 600lb for blues on bounty hunter :thumbup:

i find the sheep skin lined rigging gloves work a treat .little extra padding helps but u can still feel the strech in the leader .we use 300 to 400lb trace for stripes and 600lb for blues on bounty hunter :thumbup:

Any particular reason you use 300-400lb for stripes?

Any particular reason you use 300-400lb for stripes?

yeah you stand half a chance if a blue jump on . and i have found that if the leader is not to bad i put the lure straight back out and have hooked anouther 1 almost straight away atleast half a dozen times !!!! thay sometimes hunt in packs :thumbup: