Mako

offtap1

Hi all late report as too busy with work , got out last Sunday 12th just out from blue fish point as planned. Floated dead baits down a burley trail for the hope of some Snapper, while also bottom bashing some reefy critters. A couple of hours in with only one baby Snapper one of my light rigs goes for short run and stop. Pulled in to find line cut , presumed Shark, next minute viewed Mako shoot in under boat , with a scream to my mate to look down for him he came up beside us fully breached surface and headed back down burley trail. Set light rig for fun with wire and floated back another Yellow tail. After another 1/2 hour and tangling with our 12th 1.2m PJ shark gave up and moved off north head for drift 3 ks out. Bottom bashed for some good mowies and another Snapper and another damn PJ. My kid (Caige) speaks up and says my baitrunner with YT just got good bend, telling him he was dreaming checked reel and found line snagged not letting baitrunner do its thing, freed line and let out slack to find something was taking a run slow but heavy, let him take a good chew before engaging reel to find 5kg rod Bent hard with 15lb mono screaming off reel, bit of a a tussle and finally viewed fish Mako about 30m behind boat, he breached surface a couple of time spectacularly but tired out quite quikly i thought, got him boat side for short tussle before boated.He measured 1.1M , didnt weigh sorry. Mad fun on light gear .There must be a few of these around at moment also a large number of dolphins close in off Sydney.Check out Teeth , bottom set were as sharp as needles but top set deadly also but not sharp to touch.post-1870-1155917286_thumb.jpg post-1870-1155917319_thumb.jpg

Hi Penguin , Stu is right the small ones are great to eat but must be bled, i did him up in steaks with some spices and flour and then on oiled BBQ high heat, YUM. They arent the easiest fish to Skin though. Few beers required to make ready for Steaks. Must add this thing had a absolute full gut of what looked like Trevally and still took my foot long dead YT.

That is an achievement on 15lb! :yahoo: Well done, offtap!

Flattieman.

Thanks Flattieman damn good fun on that size gear thats for sure, heading out to long reef tommorrow and will definately have some wire out back again even for catch release Mako. But will be targeting Kings if anything there to play. Cheers Dave

Hi Offtap ,by my reckoning your Mako is a Fishraider record thus far as no one has entered one :biggrin2:

Would you like it submitted too the record section and that would be elliglble for the Fotm also

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks Stew all done, happy to post in both sections. :biggrin2: