Luring In Ic 19/8

Went for a late arvo session @ IC yesterday. Nothing spectacular to report. Was trying most times to give some of my hardbodies a go with much of them haven't seen water at all. 1st up was a 36cm flattie on the rapala jointed shad rap.

post-283-1156077041_thumb.jpg post-283-1156077056_thumb.jpg

Decided to move on and randomly selected mr pinky to give him a bath. 1st cast and he was on. Good ol' mr pinky, never fails. However, it was only a 22cm job.

post-283-1156077161_thumb.jpg

nzwarriors bought me a pack of camo sandworms as well as some 1/0 gama jigheads. Man, these things are hot stuffs! :thumbup: Almost every cast of it there'll be bites, with a couple of pulls and missed hookups. Damn, can anybody tell me how to work the rig or how to sense a good hookup using these gulps?? It's so frustrating, yet feeling they're so effective. Anyway it was snipped half by some unknown most likely a chopper, there goes my $1. :ranting2: Long story short I changed to watermelon bm and got a half-hearted fight from this 28cm.

post-283-1156077608_thumb.jpg

Had a dinner appointment and thought since there's another 15mins to spare might as well give R2S Humbug a try. I cranked it quite fast as I was in a rush and also since it has a short bib, had no worries that it'll get snagged. A 46cm flattie seems to like this colour in the dark and smacked it right near my feet, awesome stuff! Will use this lure often. :biggrin2:

post-283-1156078019_thumb.jpg post-283-1156078032_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ronald

Nice little sesh. Looks like all tested lures worked though, so how will you know which ones to leave in the box next time?

col.

I usually give all my lures a fair go with the exception of mr pinky. He gets the most pounding, that's why his bib broke but mended to get more pounding. :biggrin2:

ron

nzwarriors bought me a pack of camo sandworms as well as some 1/0 gama jigheads. Man, these things are hot stuffs! :thumbup: Almost every cast of it there'll be bites, with a couple of pulls and missed hookups. Damn, can anybody tell me how to work the rig or how to sense a good hookup using these gulps?? It's so frustrating, yet feeling they're so effective.

I cut the Gulp sandworms in half, rig them on a light jighead (1 - 2 grams) same way as any other SP. Sometimes when I'm feeling optimistic, I only cut an inch or two off the worm (at the head), as you get a better action and it doesn't really seem to affect hookups as even little bream seem to be able to wolf 'em down. If you're getting small half-hearted hits, it could be toadies.

Retrieve is either a slow roll interspersed with small twitches (keeping in contact with the bottom the whole time) or the slow lift and drop. Be careful with the roll & twitch at IC though - it is extremely snaggy close to shore and I've lost count of the number of jigheads I've lost there while land-based. I usually cast out as far as I can and do the roll & twitch until the lure is about 5 m out, then do the lift & drop in close.

Hope this helps.

Hey Ron,

The gulp sandworms are dynamite mate. There is a discussion on rigging them here:

Rigging Berkley Sandworms

In short - try cutting them in half. I've had great results doing this and the big fella in my Avatar fell to half a sandworm cast under a moored boat.

Fish them almost motionless with just the slightest of "twitches" and half a turn of the reel handle. If you feel a bite or hit, stop the plastic dead. Chances are the fish will come back for another taste.... :biggrin2:

If you want to use the whole worm, try a small stinger hook down near the tail. Tie this off to your jig head with some 10lb smoke fireline. If you wrap the fireline around the worm it will be less obvious and less likely to get caught up on snags.

Mind you, the stinger hook rig didn't set the world on fire for me, I found it got snagged a bit but it might be worth a try over the flats...

Great work on the hardbodies. Nice report and nice fish mate - well done :thumbup:

Cheers

David.

Thanks heaps for these info David L and Motty, really appreciate it. :thumbup: I've tried with the "halved" worms and had mixed results compared to using whole. But after knowing u guys had success, will let the GULPS do it's GULP work. The thing I realised with rigging the whole worm is that it makes casting crap. :thumbdown: I don't seem to have any problems rigging a 1/16 with bm and it cast comfortably, but with the worms, totally different story. Probably due to the shape, but not sure.