Using Gulp Worms

The Iceman

I thought I would just give a bit of a spiel on what has worked for me using 6in gulp sandworms

A bit of a response to crystallisers post on fishing in IC

The first thing I do is cut the worm in half for some reason I find 6in too long I feed the half onto the hook from the cut end The main jigheads I use are squidgy ball heads in 2gm No 4s I first started using No2 hooks but found I was getting a lot of missed hookups I checked the jigheads to find pockmarks in the lead which suggested the fish(presumedly bream) were hitting low down The change to the smaller hook resulted in hookups The main method I use to fish them is casting at spots where I think the fish will be edges of weedbeds where rockwalls meet the sand or mud under boats and one of my favorite spots the concrete blocks that the boats mooring bouys are attached to channel markers are also good So Ill cast to the spot let the lure sink to the bottom and count slowly to 15 after that give it the slightest twitch this is when a lot of hookups occur if nothing happens Ill hop it about half a meter and repeat the counting and twitch then continue this right back to the boat or shore

Hope this helps some of you guys and girls It has certainly worked for me

That's the stuff Iceman, I use the #4 Squidgy ball heads as well.

In addition to the meathod you use when retrieving I also let the boat drift along if the wind isn't too strong (which is kinda the way I have to do it as I don't have a leccie) and cast in at the shoreline as I drift past. I can cover a lot of ground that way and it's a good way to find where the fish are holding along the bank - if they are! It's also a good way to fish the flats, covering territory and locating the fish.

I note now the squidgy ball jig heads have a slightly heavier guage wire in the hook. I'm not sure whether it's my imagination or not but I think I had more misses on them last Friday (mind you Friday wasn't a great day for me :wacko: !!).

I'm wondering could this be because of the thicker guage in the wire and would welcome your opinion.

Thanks

Dave.

I havent seen the new jigheads yet must have a look

You will find at this time of year with the cold water the fish are not as aggressive which leads to the bites being a bit tentetive so you will miss a few Strike when you see anything out of the ordinary and you will hook a few more

I havent seen the new jigheads yet must have a look

You will find at this time of year with the cold water the fish are not as aggressive which leads to the bites being a bit tentetive so you will miss a few Strike when you see anything out of the ordinary and you will hook a few more

Yeah, I do find the fish aren't inhaling the plastics like they do in summer time. A couple of bream I did boat on Friday were only just hooked in the lip.

Thanks for the effort guys! :thumbup: I'll definitely give the "3inch" worms a try again. I do really find that casting the whole 6" feels different compared to any other plastics i've casted. I reckon it's too bulky. Nonetheless, I vouched that the sandworms are really dynamite, probably even better than the freshwater version I've had (grubs). nzwarriors told me just recently because of the bream comp during the boat show, couple of tackle shops in the metro area had sold out of the worms. :1yikes:

Ronald