Beach Fishing

mick309

hi mate

in general

the most important thing is to find the chanel, gutter

i have never been an expert on this but

find a spot on the beach where there are no waves breaking, white water

rig wise depends what you wanna catch, a decent sized sinker ( to cast a fair distance) with a long trace

whole pillies on 3 gang hooks has accounted for most of my beach catches

salmon, tailer, sharks ect

but if you are targeting bream you wouldnt do that

i think sunset is the best time to fish the beach

also mate you need a beach rod 10-12 foot min

people say so you can cast further but i think that is bull i can cast further with a 7 foot rod

but i do think its important to hold your line above the waves or your bait will get pushed in towards you

but some people like that... i dont know mate

someone help this guy out i got nothing :wacko:

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider, Mick.

For tailor, flathead and salmon, you'll need a 10-12ft "medium-heavy" rod, a 6000-8000 sized reel, 20-30lb mono main line, ganged hooks in 3/0-5/0 sizes (to fit the pilchards you're using), medium-sized ball and star sinkers, 20-50lb trace line (with wire being preferred for tailor alone, at night), medium-sized swivels and pilchards- as previously mentioned- as bait. The rig that I use consists of the ganged hooks at one end of 65cm of 20-30lb trace, with a swivel or brass ring at the other, above which runs a sinker. Some prefer a paternoster rig. The baits should be cast into a gutter or rip either during the day or at night. Burley (if chasing salmon and tailor only) should consist of pilchard pieces, however, remember that berley often attracts sharks and other undezirables.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider, Mick.

For tailor, flathead and salmon, you'll need a 10-12ft "medium-heavy" rod, a 6000-8000 sized reel, 20-30lb mono main line, ganged hooks in 3/0-5/0 sizes (to fit the pilchards you're using), medium-sized ball and star sinkers, 20-50lb trace line (with wire being preferred for tailor alone, at night), medium-sized swivels and pilchards- as previously mentioned- as bait. The rig that I use consists of the ganged hooks at one end of 65cm of 20-30lb trace, with a swivel or brass ring at the other, above which runs a sinker. Some prefer a paternoster rig. The baits should be cast into a gutter or rip either during the day or at night. Burley (if chasing salmon and tailor only) should consist of pilchard pieces, however, remember that berley often attracts sharks and other undezirables.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

Mick,

Given that this is your first shot at beach fishing, then Flattieman has provided some sound general advice that should stand you in good stead. If you become addicted to fishing the beach, then it is worth exploring the lighter end of beach fishing, using beachworms as bait for whiting and bream. Catching beachworms is not something you learn to do in five minutes, but it is worth knowing how to do if you wish to become a good alround beach fisho. If you see someone worming on the beach while there, take some time to watch how it is done. You will curse and swear the first few times you try it yourself, but once you have the knack it will widen the scope of your beach fishing dramatically. You can then fish much lighter (say up to 6kg) on an Alvey or eggbeater reel, still using a 10 - 12 ft rod, but much lighter (say a 4 wrap instead of a 7 wrap that you would use when fishing 10 - 15kg). Another plus is that you can catch whiting all day, whereas many of the other varieties are a dusk and dawn proposition.

Cam

Mick,

Given that this is your first shot at beach fishing, then Flattieman has provided some sound general advice that should stand you in good stead. If you become addicted to fishing the beach, then it is worth exploring the lighter end of beach fishing, using beachworms as bait for whiting and bream. Catching beachworms is not something you learn to do in five minutes, but it is worth knowing how to do if you wish to become a good alround beach fisho. If you see someone worming on the beach while there, take some time to watch how it is done. You will curse and swear the first few times you try it yourself, but once you have the knack it will widen the scope of your beach fishing dramatically. You can then fish much lighter (say up to 6kg) on an Alvey or eggbeater reel, still using a 10 - 12 ft rod, but much lighter (say a 4 wrap instead of a 7 wrap that you would use when fishing 10 - 15kg). Another plus is that you can catch whiting all day, whereas many of the other varieties are a dusk and dawn proposition.

Cam

Some great advice there, Cameron. Once the salmon and tailor have been mastered, other adversaries such as jewies and whiting will follow, Mick. :thumbup:

Flattieman.

High tide is best for depth, but low tide is OK. Waves are more troublesome. Are you thinking of heading out there today?

Flattieman.

No, I went out and brought a rod and reel today I didn,t have any beach gear, I am going up the coast in two weeks, it doesn't look like i will get a chance to give the new gear a run before then unless i get rained out at work

Edited by mick309